Self-energy quantum electrodynamics: Multipole radiation
- 57 Downloads
Within the context of Barut's self-field approach to quantum electrodynamics, we show that the exact relativistic expression for the Einstein A-coefficient of atomic spontaneous emission reduces, in the long wavelength approximation, to a form containing electric- and magnetic-like multipole contributions related to the transition charge and current distributions of the relativistic electron. A number of interesting features of the expressions involved are discussed, and their generalization to interacting composite systems is also pointed out.
KeywordsRadiation Relativistic Expression Current Distribution Spontaneous Emission Composite System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.For reviews, see: A. O. Barut inNew Frontiers in Quantum Electrodynamics and Quantum Optics, A. O. Barut, ed. (Plenum, New York, 1990); A. O. Barut,Phys. Scr. T 21, 18 (1988).Google Scholar
- 2.A. O. Barut and J. Kraus,Found. Phys. 13, 189 (1983).Google Scholar
- 3.A. O. Barut and J. Kraus,Trieste Preprint No. IC/86/228.Google Scholar
- 4.The relevant papers are: A. O. Barut and J. P. Dowling,Phys. Rev. A 36, 649, 2550 (1987);41, 2277, 2284 (1989);Z. Naturwiss. 44a, 1051 (1989); A. O. Barut, J. Kraus, Y. I. Salamin and N. Ünal,Phys. Rev. A 45, 7740 (1992); A. O. Barut, J. P. Dowling, and J. F. van Heule,Phys. Rev. A 38, 4405 (1988).Google Scholar
- 5.A. O. Barut and Y. I. Salamin,Phys. Rev. A 37, 2284 (1988).Google Scholar
- 6.A. O. Barut and Y. I. Salamin,Phys. Rev. A 43, 2524 (1991).Google Scholar
- 7.V. B. Beresttetskii, E. M. Lifschitz, and L. P. Pitaevskii,Quantum Electrodynamics (Pergamon, New York, 1982), §46.Google Scholar
- 8.A. S. Davydov,Quantum Mechanics, 2nd edn. (Pergamon, New York, 1965).Google Scholar
- 9.J. D. Jackson,Classical Electrodynamics, 2nd edn. (Wiley, New York, 1975).Google Scholar
- 10.A. O. Barut and Y. I. Salamin,Z. Phys. D 21, 1 (1991).Google Scholar