Existence and non existence of capillary surfaces
- 91 Downloads
A general criterion for existence of solutions of the capillary equation, introduced by Concus and Finn  and by Giusti , is shown to be equivalent to the question of existence of certain vector fields. The result is applied to particular boundary configurations, and it is shown that in some cases the local “corner condition” of  is both necessary and sufficient in the global configuration. In other situations a different kind of unstable dependence on the boundary geometry appears, that could not have been predicted by previous results.
KeywordsVector Field Number Theory Algebraic Geometry Topological Group General Criterion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- CONCUS, P., and R. FINN: On capillary free surfaces in the absence of gravity. Acta Math.132, 177–198 (1974)Google Scholar
- DeGIORGI, E., and G. STAMPACCHIA: Sulle singolarità eliminabili delle ipersuperficie minimali. Rend. Accad. Naz. Lincei 38,352–357 (1965)Google Scholar
- FINN, R.: Isolated singularities of solutions of nonlinear partial differential equations. Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 75, 385–404 (1953)Google Scholar
- FINN, R.: Capillarity Phenomena. Uspechi Math. Nauk 29, 131–152 (1974)Google Scholar
- FINN, R., and E. GIUSTI: On nonparametric surfaces of constant mean curvature. Ann. Scuola Norm. Sup. Pisa 4, 13–31 (1977)Google Scholar
- FINN, R. and E. GIUSTI: Non existence and existence of capillary surfaces. Manuscripta Math. followingGoogle Scholar
- GIUSTI, E.: Boundary value problems for nonparametric surfaces of prescribed mean curvature. Ann. Scuola Norm Sup. Pisa 3, 501–548 (1976)Google Scholar
- GIUSTI, E.: On the equation of surfaces of prescribed mean curvature-existence and uniqueness without boundary condition, to appearGoogle Scholar
- NITSCHE, J. C. C.: Über ein verallgemeinertes Dirichletsches Problem für die Minimalflächengleichung und hebbare Unstetigkeiten ihrer Lösungen. Math. Ann. 158, 203–214 (1965)Google Scholar