Interaction between taurine and angiotensin II: Modulation of calcium transport and myocardial contractile function
- 75 Downloads
Angiotensin II modulates several aspects of cardiac function, including myocardial contractility, heart rate and myocyte growth. Most of these actions are intimately associated with alterations in calcium transport. Since taurine also modulates calcium transport, we examined possible interactions between taurine and angiotensin II at the level of the major cellular extruder of calcium, the Na−-Ca2+ exchanger. Over a concentration range of 0.5–25 mM, Turne served as an effective inhibitor of angiotensin II-mediated stimulation of the exchanger. An Arrhenius plot of Na+-Ca2+ exchange activity revealed that angiotensin II (2 nM) increased transporter activity by reducing the activation energy of the transport process. Taurine (25 mM) inhibited the angiotensin II effect by partially preventing the reduction in activation energy. However, neither agent significantly altered the transition temperature, ruling out a change in membrane fluidity or an alteration in the rate limiting step of the transporter as a cause of the observed effects. Since the Na+-Ca2+ exchanger plays an important role in the handling of [Ca2+]i by the myocardium, the effect of taurine on angiotensin II's modulation of contractile function was also examined. Hearts perfused with buffer containing angiotensin 11 experienced a slight positive isotropic effect in the absence of taurine but this was converted to a negative inotropic effect in the presence of taurine. The data suggest that Turine inhibits some, but not all of the actions of angiotensin II. The possibility that a phosphorylation event is the site of the angiotensin II-taurine interaction is discussed.
KeywordsAmino acids Taurine Angiotensin II α-Adrenergic agonists Na−-Ca2+ exchange Heart Contraction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Azuma J, Sawamura A, Awata N, Hasegawa H, Ogura K, Harada H, Ohta H, Yamauchi K, Kishimoto S, Yamagami T, Ueda E, Ishiyama T (1983) Double-blind randomized crossover trial of taurine in congestive heart failure. Curr Therap Res 34: 543–557Google Scholar
- Baker KM, Singer HA, Aceto JF (1989) Angiotensin II receptor-mediated stimulation of cytosolic-free calcium and inositol phosphates in chick myocytes. J Pharmacol Exp Therap 251: 578–585Google Scholar
- Capogrossi MC, Kahu T, Filburn CR, Pelto DJ, Hansford RG, Spurgeon HA, Lakatta EG (1990) Phorbol ester and dioctanoylglycerol stimulate membrane association of protein kinase C and have a negative inotropic effect mediated by changes in cytosolic Ca2+ in adult rat cardiac myocytes. Circ Res 66: 1143–1155PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Endoh M, Ohkubo K, Kushida H, Hiramoto T (1989) Modulation of myocardial contractility by taurine: absence of its interactions with the effects of low [Ca2+]o, verapamil, BAY K 8644, andα- andβ-adrenoceptor agonists in the rabbit papillary muscle. In: Iwata H, Lombardini JB, Segawa T (eds) Taurine and the heart. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston Dordrecht London, pp 51–73Google Scholar
- Fujimoto S, Iwata H, Yoneda Y (1976) Effect of taurine on responses to noradrenaline, acetylcholine and ouabain in isolated auricles from digitalized guinea pigs. Japan J Pharmacol 26: 105–110Google Scholar
- Lombardini JB (1992) Effects of taurine on protein phosphorylation in mammalian tissues. In: Lombardini JB, Schaffer SW, Azuma J (eds) Nutritional value and mechanisms of action. Plenum Press, New York, pp 309–318Google Scholar
- Pham HC, Chahine R, Pham AHC, Dossou-Gbete V, Navarro-Delmasure C (1987) Taurine and icosanoids in the heart. Prostaglandins Leukotrienes Medicine 28: 243–254Google Scholar
- Schaffer SW, Allo S, Harada H, Azuma J (1990) Regulation of calcium homeostasis by taurine: role of calmodulin. In: Pasantes-Morales H, Shain W, Martin del Rio R (eds) Taurine: functional neurochemistry, physiology and cardiology. Wiley-Liss, New York, pp 217–225Google Scholar
- Schaffer SW, Ballard C, Azuma J (1994) Mechanisms underlying physiological and pharmacological actions of taurine on myocardial calcium transport. In: Huxtable RJ, Michalk D (eds) Taurine in health and disease. Plenum Press, New York London, pp 171–180Google Scholar
- Takahashi K, Hashimoto H, Baba A, Schaffer SW, Azuma J (1996) Effect of taurine on angiotensin II-induced expression of immediate early response gene in primary cultured neonatal rat heart cells. In: Huxtable R, Azuma J, Kuriyama K, Nakagawa M, Baba A (eds) Taurine: basic and clinical aspects. Plenum Publishing Corp, New York (in press)Google Scholar