Trivializing 5-dimensional h-cobordisms by stabilization
- 25 Downloads
It is shown that if (W5,M,M′) is an h-cobordism, then the stabilization of W formed by taking boundary connected sum with enough copies of S2×D3 is diffeomorphic to the boundary connected sum of M×I with these copies of S2×D3. When M is bounded, stabilization leads to a product structure. A key step is a proof of the stabilized 5-dimensional s-cobordism conjecture.
KeywordsNumber Theory Algebraic Geometry Topological Group Product Structure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bass, H.,Algebraic K-theory, Benjamin, New York, 1968Google Scholar
- Cohen, M.,A Course in Simple-Homotopy Theory, Springer-Verlag, New York, 1973Google Scholar
- Cappell, S. and Shaneson, J.,On four dimensional surgery and applications, Commentarii Mathematici Helvetici 46 (1971), 500–528Google Scholar
- Lawson, T.,Trivializing h-cobordisms by stabilization, Math. Zeit. 156 (1977), 211–215Google Scholar
- Lawson, T.,Decomposing 5-manifolds as doubles, Houston Jour. Math. 4 (1978) 81–84Google Scholar
- Norman, R.,Dehn's lemma for certain 4-manifolds, Invent. Math. 7 (1969), 143–147Google Scholar
- Quinn, F.,A stable Whitney trick in dimension four, (preprint)Google Scholar