Embedded minimal surfaces derived from Scherk's examples
- 163 Downloads
In this article we construct embedded minimal surfaces which are, at least heuristically, derived from Scherk's first and second surface. Our examples are either parametrized by punctured spheres and then have one translational period or one screw motion period; or they are parametrized by rectangular tori and then have one or two translational periods. The helicoidal examples contain nonisometric ∈-deformations in the sense of Rosenberg [R].
KeywordsNumber Theory Minimal Surface Algebraic Geometry Topological Group Motion Period
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [L]H.B. Lawson, Complete Minimal Surfaces in S3, Ann. of Math. 92 (1970), 335–374Google Scholar
- [JS]H. Jenkins, J. Serrin, Variational Problems of Minimal Surface Type II, Arch. Rat. Mech. Analysis 21 (1966), 321–342Google Scholar
- [HM]D. Hoffman, W.H. Meeks III, Complete Embedded Minimal Surfaces of Finite Total Curvature, Bull. A.M.S., 1985, 134–136.Google Scholar
- [HM]aSee also: D. Hoffman, New Embedded Minimal Surfaces, Math. Intelligencer 9, No. 3 (1987), 8–21Google Scholar
- [MR]W.H. Meeks III, H. Rosenberg, The Global Theory of Doubly Periodic Minimal Surfaces. Preprint Paris 1987Google Scholar
- [O]R. Osserman, Global Properties of Minimal Surfaces in E3 and En, Ann. of Math. 80 (1964), 340–364Google Scholar
- [R]H. Rosenberg, Deformations of Complete Minimal Surfaces, Trans A.M.S. Vol. 295 (1986), 475–489 and with E. Toubiana pp. 491–499Google Scholar