Embryonic platelet activating factor production in the rabbit increases during the preimplantation phase
- 23 Downloads
This study measured platelet activating factor (PAF) production by rabbit embryos in vitro and ascertained if there is increased PAF production associated with advancing embryonic development.
Two-cell rabbit embryos were recovered from superovulated New Zealand White does and cultured in vitro for 96 hr. Every 24 hr embryos were scored for developmental stage and PAF activity from the corresponding culture medium was measured by platelet aggregation and organic phosphate analyses.
PAF was detected in culture medium at all stages from two cells to blastocysts and rose significantly (P <0.001) at each 24-hr interval, reaching maximal levels at the expanded blastocyst stage.
Maximal PAF production by expanded blastocysts may be an embryonic paracrine signal that facilitates implantation.
Key wordsplatelet activating factor embryo implantation rabbits
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Hanahan DJ: Platelet activating factor: A biologically active phosphoglyceride. Annu Rev Biochem 1986;SS:483–509Google Scholar
- 2.Harper MJK: Platelet activating factor: A paracrine factor in preimplantation stages of development? Biol Reprod 1989;40:907–913Google Scholar
- 3.Minhas BS, Kumar R, Ricker DD, Robertson JL, Dodson MG: The presence of platelet activating factor-like activity in human spermatozoa. Fertil Steril 1991;55:372–376Google Scholar
- 4.Kumar R, Harper MJK, Hanahan DJ: Occurrence of platelet-activating factor in rabbit spermatozoa. Arch Biochem Biophys 1988;360:497–502Google Scholar
- 5.Parks JE, Hough S, Elrod C: Platelet activating factor activity in the phospholipids of bovine spermatozoa. Biol Reprod 1990;43:806–811Google Scholar
- 6.Ricker DD, Minhas BS, Kumar R, Robertson JL, Dodson MG: The effects of platelet activating factor on the motility of human spermatozoa. Fertil Steril 1989;52:655–658Google Scholar
- 7.Hellstrom WJG, Wang R, Sikka SC: Platelet-activating factor stimulates motion parameters of cryopreserved human sperm. Fertil Steril 1991;56:768–770Google Scholar
- 8.Minhas BS, Kumar R, Ricker DD, Roudebush WE, Dodson MG, Fortunato SJ: The effects of platelet activating factor on mouse oocyte fertilization in vitro. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1989;161:1714–1717Google Scholar
- 9.Roudebush WE, Minhas BS, Ricker DD, Palmer TV, Dodson MG: Platelet activating factor enhances in vitro fertilization of rabbit oocytes. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1990;163:1670–1673Google Scholar
- 10.Kuzan FB, Geissler FT, Henderson WR: Role of platelet activating factor (PAF) in mouse in vitro fertilization. Prostaglandins 1990;39:61–74Google Scholar
- 11.Minhas BS: Platelet activating factor and its role in mammalian fertilization.In Advances in Physiological Sciences, SK Manchanda, W Selvamurthy, V Mohan Kumar (eds). New Delhi, Macmillan, 1992, pp 472–482Google Scholar
- 12.Minhas BS: Platelet activating factor treatment of human spermatozoa enhances fertilization potential. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1993;168:1314–1317Google Scholar
- 13.Shi H, Miller M, Miller K, Kim MH: The effect of platelet activating factor on different phases of murine in vitro fertilization. J Assist Reprod Genet 1992;9:373–377Google Scholar
- 14.Sengoku K, Ishikawa M, Tamate K, Shimizu T: Effects of platelet activating factor on mouse sperm function. J Assist Reprod Genet 1992;9:447–453Google Scholar
- 15.O'Neill C: Partial characterization of the embryo-derived platelet activating factor in mice. J Reprod Fertil 1985;75:375–380Google Scholar
- 16.Collier M, O'Neill C, Ammit AJ, Saunders DM: Biochemical and pharmacological characterization of human embryoderived activating factor. Hum Reprod 1988;3:993–998Google Scholar
- 17.Battye KM, O'Neill C, Evans G: Production of platelet activating factor by the preimplantation sheep embryo. J Reprod Fertil 1991;93:507–514Google Scholar
- 18.O'Neill C, Gidley-Baird AA, Ammit AJ, Saunders DM: Use of a bioassay for embryo-derived platelet activating factor as a means of assessing quality and pregnancy potential of human embryos. Fertil Steril 1987;47:967–975Google Scholar
- 19.Harper MJK, Kudolo GB, Alecozay AA, Jones MA: Platelet activating factor (PAF) and blastocyst-endometrial interactions. Prog Clin Biol Res 1989;294:305–315Google Scholar
- 20.Van Veldhoven PP, Mannaerts GP: Inorganic and organic phosphate measurements in the nanomolar range. Anal Biochem 1987;161:45–48Google Scholar
- 21.Minhas BS: Platelet activating factor promotes mouse embryonic growth in vitro. Assist Reprod Tech/Androl 1991;2:321–324Google Scholar
- 22.Podsiadly BT, Adamson LM, Stander JD, Smart YC, Roberts TK: Prefertilization treatment of mice with platelet activating factor affects pregnancy. Mol Reprod Dev 1992;32:363–368Google Scholar
- 23.O'Neill C, Ryan JP, Collier M, Saunders DM, Ammit AJ, Pike IL: Outcome of pregnancies resulting from a trial of supplementing human IVF culture medium with platelet activating factor. Reprod Fertil Dev 1992;4:109–112Google Scholar
- 24.Ryan JP, Spinks NR, O'Neill C, Ammit AJ, Wales RG: Platelet activating factors (PAF) production by mouse embryos in vitro and its effect on embryonic metabolism. J Cell Biochem 1989;40:387–395Google Scholar
- 25.Zhu YP, Smith AL, Kim HN, Burwinkel TH, Buster JE, Minhas BS: Embryonic platelet activating factor (PAF) production increases prior to implantation and is related to advancing embryonic development. 39th Annual Meeting of the Society for Gynecologic Investigation, San Antonio, TX, 1992, Abstract 164, p 190Google Scholar
- 26.Orozco C, Perkins T, Clarke FM: Platelet activating factor induces the expression of early pregnancy factor in female mice. J Reprod Fertil 1986;78:549–555Google Scholar
- 27.Alecozay AA, Harper MJK, Schenken RS, Hanahan DJ: Paracrine interaction between platelet activating factor and prostaglandins in hormonally treated human luteal phase endometrium in vitro. J Reprod Fertil 1991;91:301–312Google Scholar
- 28.Angle MJ, Jones MA, McManus LM, Pinckard RN, Harper MJK: Platelet activating factor in the rabbit uterus during early pregnancy. J Reprod Fertil 1988;83:711–722Google Scholar
- 29.Kasamo M, Brandt M, Ishikawa M, Shimizu T, Harper MJK: In vitro prostaglandin release from a platelet activating factor accumulation in isolated endometrial cells from pregnant and pseudopregnant rabbits. Biol Reprod 1992;46:829–845Google Scholar
- 30.Ahmed A, Smith SK: Platelet activating factor stimulates phospholipase C activity in human endometrium. J Cell Phys 1992;152:207–214Google Scholar
- 31.Smith SK, Kelly RW: Effect of platelet activating factor on the release of PGF2∞ and PGE2 by separated cells of human endometrium. J Reprod Fertil 1988;82:271–276Google Scholar