Hormone levels of follicular fluids with and without oocytes in patients who received gonadotropin-releasing hormone analogues and gonadotropins in an in vitro fertilization program
- 29 Downloads
Are follicles where no oocytes are retrieved “empty follicles”?
The levels of estradiol (E2), progesterone (P), testosterone (T), cortisol (F), and prolactin (PRL) of follicular fluids (FF) aspirated individually from 34 randomly selected IVF patients in whom no oocytes were recovered were compared with the respective hormone levels of FF obtained from the same patients when oocytes were retrieved. Two FF without oocytes of a 35th patient in whom no oocytes were retrieved were analyzed.
Hormones did not differ significantly in the paired samples, while in the two FF of the 35th woman they were in agreement with cystic follicles.
It is necessary to differentiate aspirated follicles where no oocytes are retrieved from the “empty follicle syndrome,” which was not observed in the IVF series studied and should be rare in IVF patients.
Key wordssteroid hormones prolactin follicular fluid with/without oocytes empty follicle
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Coulam CB, Bustillo M, Schulman JD: Empty follicle syndrome. Steril Fertil 1986;46:1153–1155Google Scholar
- 2.Ashkenazi J, Feldberg D, Shelef M, Dicker D, Goldman JA: Empty follicle syndrome: An entity in the etiology of infertility of unknown origin, or a phenomenon associated with purified follicle-stimulating hormone therapy. Steril Fertil 1987;48:152–154Google Scholar
- 6.McNatty KP, Smith DM, Makris A, Osathanondh R, Ryan KJ: The microenvironment of the human antral follicle: Interrelationships among steroid levels in antral fluid, the population of granulosa cells and the status of the oocyte in vivo and in vitro. J Clin Endocr Metab 1979;49:851–860PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 7.Saito T, Saxena BB: Specific receptors for prolactin in the ovary. Acta Endocrinol (Copenh) 1975;80:126–137Google Scholar
- 10.Dorrington J, Gore-Langton RE: Prolactin inhibits oestrogen synthesis in the ovary. Nature (Lond) 1981;290:600–603Google Scholar
- 15.Muasher SJ: Stimulation protocols for patients with “atypipical” response (abstract). Presented at the Fifth World Congress on in Vitro Fertilization and Embryo Transfer, Norfolk, Virginia, April 5–10, 1987. American Fertility Society Program Supplement, p 4Google Scholar