In this paper, we show that a certain rigidity condition (∑-flatness) for open nonnegatively curved manifoldsM is preserved by Riemannian submersions. The result can be applied to quotients ofM by groups of isometries. ∑-flat metrics are also used to derive a splitting theorem for distance tubes of maximal volume growth.
KeywordsMaximal Volume Number Theory Algebraic Geometry Topological Group Distance Tube
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J. Cheeger,Some examples of manifolds of nonnegative curvature, J. Differential Geometry8 (1973), 623–628Google Scholar
- 2.J. Cheeger and D. Ebin, “Comparison theorems in Riemannian geometry,” North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1975Google Scholar
- 3.J. Cheeger and D. Gromoll,On the structure of complete manifolds of nonnegative curvature, Ann. of Math.96 (1972), 413–443Google Scholar
- 4.J.-H. Eschenburg,Comparison theorems and hypersurfaces, Manuscripta Math.59 (1987), 295–323Google Scholar
- 5.J.-H. Eschenburg, V. Schroeder, and M. Strake,Curvature at infinity of open nonnegatively curved manifolds, to appear in J. Differential GeometryGoogle Scholar
- 6.D. Gromoll and K. Grove,The low dimensional metric foliations of Euclidean spheres, to appear in J. Differential GeometryGoogle Scholar
- 7.V.B. Marenich,The structure of the curvature tensor of an open manifold of nonnegative curvature, Soviet Math. (Doklady)28 (1983), 753–757Google Scholar
- 8.B. O'Neill,The fundamental equations of a submersion, Michigan Math. J.13 (1966), 459–469Google Scholar
- 9.W. Poor, “Differential geometric structures,” McGraw-Hill, 1981Google Scholar
- 10.M. Strake,A splitting theorem for open nonnegatively curved manifolds, Manuscripta Math.61 (1988)Google Scholar
- 11.G. Walschap,Nonnegatively curved manifolds with souls of codimension 2, J. Differential Geometry27 (1988), 525–537Google Scholar
- 12.—,A splitting theorem for 4-dimensional manifolds of nonnegative curvature, Proc. Amer. Math. Soc.104 (1988), 265–268Google Scholar
- 13.J.W. Yim,Space of souls in a complete open manifold of nonnegative curvature, preprintGoogle Scholar