Suppressive effect of spinach extract on the formation of melanin in B16 mouse melanoma cells
- 61 Downloads
A non-dialyzable extract of fresh spinach leaves exhibited a strong antioxidant activity towards oxidation of linoleic acid and suppressed the melanin formation of a mouse melanoma cell line, B16 melanoma 4A5, without any significant effect on the proliferation of cells.
Key wordsB16 melanoma formation of melanin spinach extract
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Akiu S, Suzuki Y, Fujinuma Y, Asahara T, and Fukuda M (1988) Inhibitory effect of arbutin on melanogenesis: Biochemical study in cultured B16 melanoma cells and effect on the UV-induced pigmentation in human skin. Proc. Jpn. Soc. Invest. Dermatol. 12: 138–139.Google Scholar
- Hu F and Lensey PF (1964) The isolation and cytology of two pigment cell strains from B16 mouse melanomas. Cancer Res. 24: 1634–1643.Google Scholar
- Kobori M and Shinohara K (1993) Effects of spinach extract on the differentiation of the human promyelocytic cell line, HL-60. Biosci. Biotech. Biochem. 57: 1951–1952.Google Scholar
- Kong ZL, Fukushima T, Tsutsumi M, Iino K, Murakami K and Shinohara K (1991) Effect of extracts of some vegetables on proliferation cell lines cultured in serum-free medium. Nippon Shokuhin Kogyo Gakkaishi 39: 79–87.Google Scholar
- Kong ZL, Murakami KH and Shinohara K (1991) Effect of dialyzate fractions of spinach on growth of human-derived cells. Cytotechnology 7: 113–119.Google Scholar
- Mishima Y and Mishima Y (1990) Melanogenesis-inhibitory effect of kojic acid and its action mechanism (in Japanese). Fragrance J. 6: 367–374.Google Scholar
- Mishima Y, Hatta S, Ohyama Y and Inazu M (1988) Induction of melanogenesis suppression: Cellular pharmacology and mode of differential action. Pigment Cell Res. 1: 367–374.Google Scholar
- Orlow SJ, Chakraborty AK, Boissy RE and Pawelek JM (1990) Inhibition of induced melanogenesis in cloudman melanoma cells by four phenotypic modifiers. Exp. Cell Res. 191: 209–218.Google Scholar
- Wrathwall JR, Oliver C, Silagi S and Essner E (1973) Suppression of pignlentation in mouse melanoma cells by 5-bromodeoxyuridine. J. Cell Biol. 57: 406–423.Google Scholar