A note on the Everett interpretation of quantum mechanics
- 65 Downloads
Three aspects of the Everett interpretation of quantum mechanics are considered. It is first shown that the proof of the metatheorem is not complete—thus it is an open question as to whether or not it is true. Next, some difficulties for the Everett interpretation and the metatheorem, which arise from consideration of the physics developed by observers in maverick universes, are discussed. Finally, it is shown that the universal state description of an ever-branching universe with each branch corresponding to a possible perceived universe fails completely in the limit of an infinite number of successive branchings.
KeywordsQuantum Mechanic Infinite Number Universal State Everett Interpretation Successive Branching
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Hugh Everett III,Rev. Mod. Phys. 29, 454 (1957).Google Scholar
- 2.John Wheeler,Rev. Mod. Phys. 29, 463 (1957).Google Scholar
- 3.Bryce DeWitt,Physics Today 23, 155 (1970); The Many Universes Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics, inFoundations of Quantum Mechanics IL Corso, (Academic Press, 1971); reprinted inThe Many Worlds Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics, B. DeWitt and N. Graham, eds. (Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton, New Jersey, 1973).Google Scholar
- 4.N. Graham,The Everett Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics, Thesis, Univ. of North Carolina, Chapel Hill (1970).Google Scholar
- 5.J. von Neumann, On Infinite Directed Products, inCollected Works, Vol. III., A. H. Taub, ed. (Pergamon Press, New York, 1963), pp. 323–399; A. Guichardet,Ann. L'École Normale Superieure 83, 1 (1966); J. B. Hartle,Am. J. Phys. 36, 704 (1968).Google Scholar
- 6.P. A. Benioff,J. Math. Phys. 18, 2289 (1977).Google Scholar
- 7.P. A. Benioff,J. Math. Phys. 17, 618, 629 (1976).Google Scholar
- 8.H. Ekstein,Phys. Rev. 184, 1315 (1969).Google Scholar
- 9.P. A. Benioff,Phys. Rev. D 7, 3603 (1973).Google Scholar
- 10.J. Shoenfield,Mathematical Logic (Addison-Wesley, Reading, Mass., 1967), Chap. 2.Google Scholar