The connection between the ionization constants of alkaloids and their basicities
- 21 Downloads
1. The pKa values of a number of indole alkaloids ofVinca erecta in aqueous ethanolic solution and in chloroform have been determined.
2. It has been shown that the pKa value of an alkaloid in water or in chloroform is not connected with the pH of the transition from chloroform into a buffer solution.
3. It is impossible to estimate the basicity of an alkaloid from its pKa value.
KeywordsMorphine Alkaloid Papaverine Ionization Constant Thebaine
- 1.A. P. Orekhov, The Chemistry of the Alkaloids [in Russian], Moscow (1955).Google Scholar
- 2.B. P. Nikol'skii, Theoretical and Practical Handbook of Physical Chemistry [in Russian], Leningrad, Part II (1967).Google Scholar
- 3.A. Albert and E. Serjeant, Ionization Constants of Acids and Bases, Methuen, London (1962).Google Scholar
- 4.A. Weissberger, Determination of the Structures of Organic Compounds by Physical and Chemical Methods, Vol. XI, Book I, Interscience, New York (1963).Google Scholar
- 5.L. I. Brutko and L. M. Utkin, Med. Prom. SSSR,5, 42 (1964).Google Scholar
- 6.I. A. Bessonova, Z. Sh. Faizutdinova, and S. Yu. Yunusov, Khim. Prirodn. Soedin., 711 (1970).Google Scholar
- 7.Handbook of Chemistry [in Russian], Vol. III, Khimiya, Moscow and Leningrad (1964), p. 98.Google Scholar