Asparagus polysaccharides. I. Isolation and characterization of polysaccharides ofA. neglectus: Glucomannans of the roots
- 47 Downloads
Water-soluble polysaccharides and pectin substances have been isolated from various organs ofA. neglectus and their quantitative amounts and monosacchardie compositions have been determined. Native acetylated glucomannans (A, B, and C) containing 13, 15, and 20% of acetyl groups and being homogeneous according to the results of gel chromatography have been isolated from the roots. On the basis of the results of periodate oxidation, methylation, and IR spectroscopy it has been established that the neutral polysaccharides of the roots ofA. neglectus is a mixture of three glucomannans consisting of β-1→4 linear-bound D-gluco- and D-mannopyranose residues.
KeywordsPolysaccharide Polyol Cotton Plant Erythritol Periodate Oxidation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Flora of the USSR [in Russian], Moscow-Leningrad, Vol. 4 (1935), p. 430.Google Scholar
- 2.R. Goldberg, Compt. Rend., D269, No. 15, 1419 (1969).Google Scholar
- 3.R. Goldberg and R. Jancloude, Compt. Rend., D270, No. 5, 702 (1970).Google Scholar
- 5.A. B. Landge and J. L. Bose, Indian J. Chem.,8, 588 (1970).Google Scholar
- 7.A. O. Arifkhodzhaev, D. A. Rakhimov, and Z. F. Ismailov, Khim. Prir. Soedin., 246 (1980).Google Scholar
- 8.M. Zaprometov, Biochemical Methods of Plant Analysis [in Russian], Moscow (1970), p. 296.Google Scholar
- 9.R. G. Zhbankov, Infrared Spectra and the Structure of Carbohydrates [in Russian] (1972), p. 78.Google Scholar
- 11.V. I. Sharkov and N. I. Kuibina, The Chemistry of Hemicelluloses [in Russian], Moscow (1972), p. 103.Google Scholar
- 12.S. Hakomori, J. Biochem. (Tokyo),55, 205 (1964).Google Scholar
- 14.D. A. Rakhimov, R. K. Rakhmanberdieva, and Z. F. Ismailov, Khim. Prir. Soedin., 555 (1978).Google Scholar