Relationship between the structure and properties of cyclodepsipeptides of the valinomycin series I. Topochemical analogs
- 27 Downloads
1. By means of physical methods (IR and NMR spectra, ORD curves, dipole moments) and a theoretical conformational analysis, a study has been made of the conformational states of three topochemical analogs of valinomycin: cyclo-(D-Val-D-HyIv-L-Val-L-Lac)3 (II), cyclo-(D-HyIv-L-Ala-L-HyIv-D-Val)3 (III), and cyclo-(D-HyIv-D-Val-L-HyIv-L-Ala)3 (IV).
2. In compounds (II) and (III) steric interactions prevent the formation of “bracelet” conformations and the formation of complexes with alkali-metal ions.
3. In nonpolar media, compound (IV) assumes a “bracelet” conformation similar to that of valinomycin.
4. In view of steric hindrance, compound (IV) is incapable of adopting the “propeller” conformation that is characteristic for valinomycin, which leads to a reduced surface activity.
5. The conformation of the depsipeptide chain of the K+ complex of compound (IV) is similar to the conformation of the K+ complex of valinomycin. However, in it the cation is more feebly shielded from interaction with the solvent, which explains the higher stability and surface activity of the complex.
KeywordsConformational State Valinomycin Depsipeptides Valino Hydroxyisovaleric Acid
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.V. T. Ivanov, I. A. Laine, N. D. Abdullaev, V. Z. Pletnev, G. M. Lipkind, S. F. Arkhipova, L. B. Senyavina, E. N. Meshcheryakova, E. M. Popov, V. F. Bystrov, and Yu. A. Ovchinnikov, Khim. Prirodn. Soedin., 221 (1971).Google Scholar
- 5.V. T. Ivanov, I. A. Laine, and Yu. A. Ovchinnikov, Khim. Prirodn. Soedin., 744 (1970).Google Scholar
- 7.E. M. Popov, G. A. Kogan, M. I. Struchkova, and V. N. Zheltova, Zh. Strukt. Khim.,12, 61 (1971).Google Scholar
- 9.E. M. Popov, G. M. Lipkind, V. Z. Pletnev, and S. F. Arkhipova, Khim. Prirodn. Soedin., 184 (1971).Google Scholar
- 11.E. I. Mel'nik, A. V. Babakov, and A. M. Shkrob, The Biophysics of Membranes [in Russian], Part 1, Kaunas (1971), p. 599.Google Scholar
- 12.V. T. Ivanov, L. B. Senyavina, E. S. Efremov, V. V. Shilin, and Yu. A. Ovchinnikov, Khim. Prirodn. Soedin., 347 (1971).Google Scholar