Competitive methylation of some phenolic compounds
- 35 Downloads
The competitive methylation of a mixture of 6-hydroxy-4-methylcoumarin and of 7-hydroxy-4-methylcoumarin and also of other compounds of phenolic nature has been studied. It had ben shown that in the presence of 1 mole of alkali, methylation of the more acidic hydroxyl takes place at the oxygen atom, and with 2 moles of alkali, the stronger conjugated base reacts.
KeywordsOxygen Methylation Hydroxyl Organic Chemistry Oxygen Atom
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.V. A. Zagorevskii, Z. D. Kirsanova, I. V. Persianova, and D. A. Zykov, Khim. Geterotsikl. Soedin., 1178 (1974).Google Scholar
- 2.G. Wagner and M. Böhm, Pharmazie, 17, 670 (1962).Google Scholar
- 3.H. D. Sadekov, V. I. Minkin, and A. E. Lutskii, Usp. Khim., 39, 380 (1970).Google Scholar
- 4.E. Boboli, J. Kamionska, and L. Malasnicki, Roczn. Chem., 42, 243 (1968).Google Scholar
- 5.A. E. Chichibiban, The Basic Principles of Organic Chemistry [in Russian], Vol. 2, GKHI, Moscow (1958), p. 393.Google Scholar
- 6.H. E. Zaugg and A. D. Schaefer, J. Amer. Chem. Soc., 87, 1857 (1965).Google Scholar