Friedel-Crafts alkylation of indoles
- 683 Downloads
The alkylation of indole and 2-methylindole with alkyl halides in the presence of a complex catalyst — dipyridinezinc chloride — was investigated. Nitromethane was used as the solvent. 3-Alkylindoles were obtained in 30–80% yields in all cases. The reaction mechanism is discussed. Data from the PMR and mass spectra are presented.
KeywordsChloride Mass Spectrum Organic Chemistry Indole Reaction Mechanism
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Yu. I. Tarnopol'skii, L. I. Denisovich, and A. I. Golikov, Khim. Geterotsikl. Soedin., No. 5, 620 (1970).Google Scholar
- 2.Yu. I. Tarnopol'skii, L. I. Denisovich, S. V. Chepan, and V. V. Chepan, Khim. Geterotsikl. Soedin., No. 9, 1217 (1970).Google Scholar
- 3.A. N. Kost, V. A. Budylin, M. S. Ermolenko, A. Ben', and E. Vrubel', Summaries of Papers Presented at the 4th All-Union Colloquium on the Chemistry and Pharmacology of Indole Compounds [in Russian], Shtiintsa, Kishinev (1975), p. 26.Google Scholar
- 4.W. Lang, Ber., 21, 1578 (1888).Google Scholar
- 5.A. E. Favorskii, Zh. Russ. Fiz.-Khim. O. va., 39, 469 (1907).Google Scholar
- 6.L. G. Yudin, V. A. Budylin, A. N. Kost, and V. I. Minkin, Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR, 176, 1069 (1967).Google Scholar