Absorption spectra of some pyridine and pyridine N-oxide derivatives in oleum
The absorption spectra of a number of pyridlne and pyridine N-oxide derivatives in media of different acidity functions have been investigated. The bathochromic shift of the shortwave absorption band in oleum is interpreted as a consequence of the addition of a proton to the conjugate acid. The formation of a hydrogen bond between the 3-hydroxy derivative of the heterocyclic compounds investigated and the oleum, appearing as a hypsochromic shift of the long-wave absorption band, has been detected. This phenomenon is absent in the case of the 2-methoxy derivative.
KeywordsHydrogen Hydrogen Bond Absorption Spectrum Absorption Band Pyridine
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.H. H. Jaffe, J. Amer. Chem. Soc., 77, 4451 (1955).Google Scholar
- 2.E. M. Evleth, Theoret. Chim. Acta, 11, 145 (1968).Google Scholar
- 3.E. Ochiai, Aromatic Amine Oxides, Eisevier, Amsterdam (1967), p. 4.Google Scholar
- 4.F. M. Hershenson and L. Bauer, J. Org. Chem., 34, 655 (1969).Google Scholar
- 5.A. Denis and M. Gilberg, Theoret. Chim. Acta, 11, 31 (1968).Google Scholar
- 6.D. E. Metzler and E. E. Snell, J. Amer. Chem. Soc., 77, 2431 (1955).Google Scholar
- 7.G. N. Rodionova, R. E. Lokhov, and K. M. Dyumaev, Khim. Geterotsikl. Soedin., 962 (1972).Google Scholar
- 8.A. I. Gel'bshtein, G. G. Shcheglova, and M. I. Temkin, Zh. Neorg. Khim., 1, 282 (1956).Google Scholar
- 9.M. A. Paul and F. A. Long, Chem. Rev., 57, 1 (1957). 890.Google Scholar