Elastic pulse buckling of cylindrical shells under radial impulsive loading
- 41 Downloads
When a cylindrical shell is subjected to dynamic implusive loading in radial direction and the ratio of radius-to-thickness exceeds a special value, the cylindrical shell will produce elastic dynamic buckling. This paper which is based on the results of some relative experiments, assumes deformation mode and utilizes Lagrange method to analyse the elastic pluse buckling of a thin cylindrical shell with a finite length under a cosine impulse. The dynamic buckling equations are derived and solved by numerical method. The results of calculation are compared with some relative calculation results which were obtained by other authors.
Key wordscylindrical shells impulsive loading elastic dynamic buckling
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- H. E.Lindberg and A. L.Florence, Dynamic Pulse Buckling, Martinus Nijhoff, The Netherland (1987), 104–136.Google Scholar
- Paul R.Gefken, Steven W.Kirkpatrick and Bayard S.Holmes, Response of impulsively loaded cylindrical shells, Int. J. Impact Engng., 7, 2 (1988), 213–227.Google Scholar
- W. S.Strickland J. E.Milton, C. A.Ross and L. J.Ment. Failure of aluminum cylindrical shells subjected to transverse blast loadings, Shock Vib.Bull., 47, 4 (1977), 111–120.Google Scholar
- Steven W.Kirkpatrick and Bayard S.Holmes, Structural response of thin cylindrical shells subjected to impulsive external loads, AIAA Journal, 26, 1 (1988), 96–103.Google Scholar
- H. E.Lindberg and A. L.Florence, Dynamic Pulse Buckling, Martinus Nijhoff, The Netherland (1987), 140–149.Google Scholar
- J. N.Goodier and I. K.McIvor, The elastic cylindrical shell under uniform radial impulse, ASME Trans., J. Appl. Mech. Series E, 86, 31 (1964), 259–266.Google Scholar