Decay in the one dimensional generalized Improved Boussinesq equation
We consider the decay problem for the generalized improved (or regularized) Boussinesq model with power type nonlinearity, a modification of the originally ill-posed shallow water waves model derived by Boussinesq. This equation has been extensively studied in the literature, describing plenty of interesting behavior, such as global existence in the space \(H^1\times H^2\), existence of super luminal solitons, and lack of a standard stability method to describe perturbations of solitons. The associated decay problem has been studied by Liu, and more recently by Cho–Ozawa, showing scattering in weighted spaces provided the power of the nonlinearity p is sufficiently large. In this paper we remove that condition on the power p and prove decay to zero in terms of the energy space norm \(L^2\times H^1\), for any \(p>1\), in two almost complementary regimes: (1) outside the light cone for all small, bounded in time \(H^1\times H^2\) solutions, and (2) decay on compact sets of arbitrarily large bounded in time \(H^1\times H^2\) solutions. The proof consists in finding two new virial type estimates, one for the exterior cone problem based in the energy of the solution, and a more subtle virial identity for the interior cone problem, based in a modification of the momentum.
Mathematics Subject Classification35Q35 35Q53
We thank C. Kwak and M. A. Alejo for several important remarks that helped to improve a first draft of this paper.
- 1.Alejo, M.A., Cortez, F., Kwak, C., Muñoz, C.: On the dynamics of zero-speed solutions for Camassa–Holm type equations (2019). arXiv:1810.09594 (preprint; to appear in IMRN)
- 8.Linares, F.: Notes on Boussinesq Equation, p. 71 (2005). http://preprint.impa.br/FullText/Linares__Fri_Dec_23_09_48_59_BRDT_2005/beq.pdf
- 12.Kwak, C., Muñoz, C.: Extended decay properties for generalized BBM equations Fields Institute Comm. (2018) (preprint) Google Scholar
- 13.Kwak, C., Muñoz, C.: Asymptotic dynamics for the small data weakly dispersive one-dimensional hamiltonian ABCD system. arXiv:1902.00454 (preprint; to appear in T. of the AMS)
- 18.Kowalczyk, M., Martel, Y., Muñoz, C.: Soliton dynamics for the 1D NLKG equation with symmetry and in the absence of internal modes (2019). arXiv:1903.12460 (preprint)
- 19.Liu, Y.: Existence and blow up of solutions of a nonlinear Pochhammer–Chree equation. Indiana Univ. Math. J. 45(3), 797–816 (1996) (Fall) Google Scholar
- 28.Smereka, P.: A Remark on the Solitary Wave Stability for a Boussinesq Equation. Nonlinear Dispersive Wave Systems (Orlando, FL, 1991), pp. 255–263. World Scientific Publishing, River Edge (1992)Google Scholar
- 29.Whitham, G.B.: Linear and Nonlinear Waves, Pure and Applied Mathematics, p. 636. Wiley, New York (1974)Google Scholar