Study on the microstructure and properties of hot-mix epoxy asphalt
- 1 Downloads
Epoxy asphalt concrete (EAC) has excellent high-temperature stability and fatigue durability and is extensively used as steel deck pavement. The spatial microstructure of one type of hot-mix epoxy asphalt was investigated using fluorescence microscopy and scanning electron microscopy (SEM). The properties of the epoxy asphalt (EA) and EAC with different epoxy resin to epoxy asphalt binder (epoxy to binder, ETB) ratios were investigated using tensile tests, rutting tests, Marshall tests and three-point beam bending tests. The curing process of the EAC at different temperatures was evaluated. The experimental results indicated that the asphalt phase transferred to the epoxy phase at a 37 wt% ETB ratio. When the ETB ratio was above 37 wt%, the epoxy resin began to form a continuous phase with a spatial crosslinked structure, and the asphalt acted as the disperse phase, filling the crosslinked structure of the epoxy resin and providing toughening and anticorrosion effects. The mechanical test results showed that the ETB ratio had a significant influence on the performance of the EA and EAC. The increasing strength curves during the curing process showed that the strength of the EAC increased faster at higher temperatures and during the first half of the curing process.
KeywordsEpoxy asphalt Microstructure Spatial crosslinked structure Curing process
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- H. F. Xie, J. Dai, C. G. Liu, Z. R Yuan, Z. L. Wang, R. S. Cheng, Thermal analysis of epoxy asphalts, Gaofenzi Cailiao Kexue Yu Gongcheng/polymeric Materials Science & Engineering, 25 (11) (2009) 115–117.Google Scholar
- H. Yin, C. Wang, Y. Wang, Z. Yuan, Z. Wang, H. Xie, et al. Cure reaction and morphology of epoxy asphalts, Gaofenzi Cailiao Kexue Yu Gongcheng/polymeric Materials Science & Engineering, 28 (11) (2012) 30–33.Google Scholar
- Y. Kang, Z. Chen, Z. Jiao, W. Huang, Rubber-like thermosetting epoxy asphalt composites exhibiting atypical yielding behaviors, J. Appl. Poly. Sci. 116 (3) (2010) 1678–1685.Google Scholar
- R. Gaul, A long life pavement for orthotropic bridge decks in China. In: New Technologies in construction and rehabilitation of portland cement concrete pavement and bridge deck pavement. Geotechnical Special Publications (GSP) 196 (2009) 1–8.Google Scholar
- H. Yin, C. Wang, Y. Wang, Z. Yuan, Z. Wang, H. Xie, et al. Cure reaction and morphology of epoxy asphalts, Gaofenzi Cailiao Kexue Yu Gongcheng, polymeric Materials Science & Engineering 28 (11) (2012) 30–33. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- D. Zhe, L.P. Li, Study on Dynamic Mechanical Properties and Microstructure of Epoxy Asphalt, Proceedings of International Conference on Applied Science and Engineering Innovation, 2015 516–523.Google Scholar
- Ministry of Transport of P.R. China. Highway engineering asphalt and asphalt mixture testing procedures. JTG E20-2011. China Communications Press, Beijing, 2011 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- C. N. Chiangmai, Fatigue-Fracture Relation on Asphalt Concrete Mixture (Master thesis), University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, 2010.Google Scholar
- W. Q. Wang, H. Y. He, Study on performance of epoxy asphalt concrete applied in the deck pavement of pingsheng steel bridge, Adv. Mater. Res. 150–151 (2010) 470–474.Google Scholar
- W. Xu, X. Zhang, T.U. Changwei, Study of the Repair Scheme and Engineering Implementation of Humen Bridge Steel Deck Pavement, HIGHWAY 5 (2010) 67–71. (in Chinese).Google Scholar