Synthesis and Characterization of Eggshell-Derived Hydroxyapatite Bioceramics
- 6 Downloads
Several methods are frequently used to make high-value-added biomaterials from waste biomass for various biomedical applications. Hydroxyapatite (HA), a type of bio-ceramic material, has received considerable attention for use in bone tissue and implanted medical devices owing to its physiochemical properties and excellent biocompatibility. It can be synthesized from calcium- and phosphorous-containing precursor moieties such as calcium oxide and tricalcium phosphate (TCP). In this study, we synthesized an HA bio-ceramic from bio-waste eggshells via a reaction between calcium oxide and TCP, followed by heat treatment. The synthesized HA was characterized through scanning electron microscopy, X-ray diffraction, and energy-dispersive X-ray spectroscopy. The material exhibited no significant cytotoxicity even at a higher concentration, indicating high biocompatibility. Our study provides an effective way of converting low-cost bio-waste eggshells into a value-added biomaterial for tissue-engineering applications.
KeywordsBio-waste Eggshell Hydroxyapatite Bioceramics Value-added product
This research was supported by the Co-operative Research Program for Agriculture Science and Technology Development (No. PJ012854012017); Rural Development Administration, Republic of Korea; Basic Science Research Program through the National Research Foundation of Korea funded by the Ministry of Education (No. 2018R1A6A1A03025582); and the National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF-2016R1D1A3B03932921).
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Ardjomandi, N., Huth, J., Stamov, D., Henrich, A., Klein, C., Wendel, H., Reinert, S., & Alexander, D. (2016). Surface biofunctionalization of β-TCP blocks using aptamer 74 for bone tissue engineering. Materials Science and Engineering: C, 67, 267–275. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msec.2016.05.002.
- Arslan, Y., Sezgin, T., Derkus, B., Emregul, E., & Emregul, K. (2017). Fabrication of human hair keratin/jellyfish collagen/eggshell-derived hydroxyapatite osteoinductive biocomposite scaffolds for bone tissue engineering: from waste to regenerative medicine products. Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, 154, 160–170. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.colsurfb.2017.03.034.
- Chávez Guerrero, L., Garza-Cervantes, J., Caballero-Hernández, D., González-López, R., Sepúlveda-Guzmán, S., & Cantú-Cárdenas, E. (2017). Synthesis and characterization of calcium hydroxide obtained from agave bagasse and investigation of its antibacterial activity. Revista Internacional de Contaminación Ambiental, 33(2), 347–353. https://doi.org/10.20937/rica.2017.33.02.15.
- Gentile, P., Nandagiri, V., Daly, J., Chiono, V., Mattu, C., Tonda-Turo, C., Ciardelli, G., & Ramtoola, Z. (2016). Localised controlled release of simvastatin from porous chitosan-gelatin scaffolds engrafted with simvastatin loaded PLGA-microparticles for bone tissue engineering application. Materials Science and Engineering: C, 59, 249–257. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msec.2015.10.014.
- Gergely, G., Wéber, F., Lukas, I., Toth, A., Horvath, Z., Mihaly, J., & Balázsi, C. (2010). Preparation and characterization of hydroxyapatite from eggshell. Ceramics International, 36, 803–806. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ceramint.2009.09.020.
- Khojasteh, A., Fahimipour, F., Eslaminejad,M., Jafarian,M., Jahangir,S., Bastami,F., Tahriri,M., Karkhaneh,A., & Tayebi, L. (2016). Development of PLGA-coated β-TCP scaffolds containing VEGF for bone tissue engineering. Materials Science and Engineering: C, 69, 780–788. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msec.2016.07.011.
- Kim,H., Jung,G., Yoon,J., Han,J., Park,Y., Kim,D., Zhang,M., & Kim,D. (2015). Preparation and characterization of nano-sized hydroxyapatite/alginate/chitosan composite scaffolds for bone tissue engineering. Materials Science and Engineering: C, 54, 20–25. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msec.2015.04.033.
- Rivera, E., Araiza, M., Brostow, W., Castano, V., Diaz-Estrada, J., Hernandez, R., & Rodriguez, J. (1999). Synthesis of hydroxyapatite from eggshells. Materials Letters, 41(3), 128–134. https://doi.org/10.1016/s0167-577x(99)00118-4.
- Ryu, H., Youn, H., Hong, K., Chang, B., Lee, C., & Chung, S. (2002). An improvement in sintering property of β-tricalcium phosphate by addition of calcium pyrophosphate. Biomaterials, 23(3), 909–914. https://doi.org/10.1016/s0142-9612(01)00201-0.
- Zhao, X., Ng, S., Heng, B., Guo, J., Ma, L., Tan, T., Ng, K., & Loo, S. (2012). Cytotoxicity of hydroxyapatite nanoparticles is shape and cell dependent. Archives of Toxicology, 87, 1037–1052. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00204-012-0827-1.