A Novel Design of UPS with Useful Customer Load Management Function
- 1 Downloads
Traditional Uninterruptible Power Supplies (UPS) only provide stable power to critical loads in emergency situations, while Energy Storage Systems (ESS) perform functions such as generator output stabilization, frequency control, peak shaving, and load leveling. As the global ESS market expands, various ESS supply policies are being implemented in a number of countries. Accordingly, research and development of a hybrid UPS-ESS system combining the advantages of UPS and ESS are underway in order to ensure critical load stability in case of emergency. For such a situation, we propose the development of a system with a customer load management function by simply adding a converter and battery pack to a widely used conventional UPS. The proposed system in this paper is more economical than a hybrid UPS-ESS system or an ESS. In addition, the proposed system performs peak-clipping and load-shifting according to time-based rates, and has a longer power outage time in case of emergency without needing to communicate with the existing UPS.
KeywordsEnergy storage system Uninterruptible power supply Hybrid UPS-ESS system Customer load management
This work was supported by Korea Institute of Energy Technology Evaluation and Planning (KETEP) grant funded by the Korea government (MOTIE) (20181210301470, Development and Proof on the Commercialization of the Broker Service based on Small-scale Distributed Energy Resources).
- 2.Niroomand M, Karshenas H (2010) Review and compare-son of control methods for uninterruptible power supplies. In: IEEE power electronic and drive systems and technologies conference (PEDSTC), pp 18–23Google Scholar
- 3.Racine MS, Parham JD, Rashid MH (2005) An overview of uninterruptible power supplies. In: Proceedings of the 37th Annual North American power symposium, pp 159–164Google Scholar
- 11.D Dong, L Chen, H Li, M Chen, D Xu (2015) Design of hybrid ac-dc-ac topology for uninterruptible power supply. 2015 IEEE 2nd International future energy electronics conference, pp 1–5Google Scholar
- 17.Korea Energy Agency (2017) Survey on the promotion policies of ESS enlargement in major countries and suggestion of domestic introduction. Korea Energy Agency, YonginGoogle Scholar
- 20.Yang J-H, Jeong K-I, Kwon J-M (2014) Energy storage system with PV generation and on-line UPS functions. In: 2014 IEEE 36th international telecommunications energy conference, pp 1–4Google Scholar
- 21.Jang S-K, Kim M-S, Hwon Y-H, Park G-S, Jang B-G (2016) Power management system of ESS within On-Line UPS Function. In: The Institute of electronics and information engineers, pp 1458–1460Google Scholar
- 22.Eom J-K (2015) Research of economical dispatch algorithm for ESS with UPS function. Sungkyunkwan University, SeoulGoogle Scholar