Beamforming Based on Joint Optimization for Array Interpolation
Aiming at the inherently problems that interpolated transformation technique can not work effectively over a large transformation area, and the sidelobe level is high during beamforming. In this paper, we propose a new algorithm by designing the weight of interpolated array to jointly optimize sidelobe level and transforming error. The key feature of this algorithm is that in the case of minimizing the error of output signal power which is caused by transforming error, the sum of the sidelobe power is constrained to minimum by the angle weighting function. Numerical simulations prove the validity of this new algorithm. In comparing with the existing algorithms, this algorithm can achieve low sidelobe beamforming in a large transformation area, and it overcomes high current taper, mainlobe expansion, and inability to use the window function to suppress sidelobe in interpolated array. Besides, it has good reception and suppression effects for the spatial wave signals from the mainlobe and the sidelobe, respectively.
KeywordsInterpolated array Transforming error Beamforming Sidelobe level
This work was supported by the (National Natural Science Foundation of China) under Grant (Nos. 61601326, 61371108).
- 1.Lv X, Gao B, Liu R (2000) A study on the geometry of smart antenna with low side-lobe. J Microw 16(5):594–598Google Scholar
- 2.Wang Y, Ding Q, Li R (2006) Adaptive array processing. Tsinghua University Press, Beijing, p 28Google Scholar
- 3.Dolph CL (1946) A current distribution for broadside arrays which optimize the relationship between beamwidth and sidelobe level. In: Proceeding of the I.R.E. and waves and electrons, pp 335–348Google Scholar
- 7.Rntna Kumari UV, Raju GSN, Prasad GMV (2016) Generation of low sidelobe beams using Taylor’s method and genetic algorithm. In: 2016 International conference on electromagnetic interference and compatibility (INCEMIC), pp 1–5Google Scholar
- 9.Khalid A, IVIH Shah (2017) Pattern synthesis of conformal antenna array to achieve optimized amplitude weights for null steering and PSLL reduction. In: Proceedings of 2017 14th International Bhurban conference on applied sciences and technology (IBCAST) Islamabad, Pakistan, 10th–14th January, 2017Google Scholar
- 10.Al-Husseini M, Ghaziri H et al (2017)Rectangular and circular arrays with independently controlled beamwidth and sidelobe level. In: 2017 IEEE international symposium on antennas and propagation and USNC/URSI national radio science meeting, pp 1395–1396Google Scholar
- 13.Zhang Y, Zou Z, Lv Z et al (2007) Beamforming of coherent signals based on uniform circular array. J Electron Sci Technol 36(1):20–23Google Scholar
- 15.Li W, Li Y et al (2011) Adaptive beamforming method for arc length based virtual antenna array. In: IEEE conference publications, pp 135–139Google Scholar
- 18.Hyberg P, Jansson M, Ottersten B (2002) Array mapping: optimal transformation matrix design. IEEE Int Conf Acoust Speech Signal Process 3:2905–2908Google Scholar
- 21.Peng H (2006) Study on beamofrming algorithm of array with virtual elements. Northwestern Polytechnical University, China, pp 31–38Google Scholar
- 22.Kraus JD, Marhefka RJ (2005) Antennas: for all applications. Beijing Electronic Industry Press, BeijingGoogle Scholar