Method for Determining Dissipation Factor of Capacitors Without Reference Capacitor at Voltages up to 1 kV
- 1 Downloads
Objectives and design
This paper describes a method to determine absolutely the dissipation factor (DF) of a capacitor connected with resistor in series that doesn’t depend on any reference capacitor with a known DF.
Materials and methods
The method was applied to calibrate the DFs for two capacitor-resistor boxes that had DF ranges of 1 × 10−5 to 1 × 10−2 (C-R connecting box A) and 5 × 10−6 to 5 × 10−3 (C-R connecting box B), together with uncertainty estimation. The principle of the absolute determination is based on “elimination” of the DF of a reference capacitor by subtracting DF readings from two successive measurements.
This method was applied to the calibration of DF in the range 5 × 10−6 to 1 × 10−2 at voltages up to 1 kV. Results obtained using this method were confirmed by comparing them with DF obtained using different methods
The developed DF standard could be used to calibrate DF for commercial capacitors and DF methods.
KeywordsCapacitance bridge Measurement uncertainty Dissipation factor (DF) standard
This research was supported by Development of Reliability Technology of Standard Measurement for Hydrogen Convergence Station funded by Korea Research Institute of Standards and Science (KRISS—2018—GP2018-0014).
- 9.Guildline Instrument “Operating instruction of current comparator based high voltage capacitance bridge 9910 A” 2005Google Scholar
- 10.High Voltage Capacitance Bridge (2006) Operating Manual of MI 7010B Bridge and Tettex 2840Google Scholar
- 11.Eklund G (2004) Frequency dependence of the dissipation factor of capacitors up to 10 kHz. In: 2004 conference on precision electromagnetic measurements digest, IEEE, pp 95–96. https://doi.org/10.1109/CPEM.2004.305458
- 17.BIPM (2008) Evaluation of measurement data-Guide to the expression of uncertainty in measurement. BIPM, JCGM. 100. https://www.bipm.org/utils/common/documents/jcgm/JCGM_100_2008_E.pdf. Accessed 23 Oct 2018
- 19.METAS, 2007 Certificate of calibration of loss factor resistor box no 212-03320Google Scholar
- 20.Inc Andeen-Hagerling (2003) AH 2700A 50 Hz–20 kHz ultra-precision capacitance bridge. Operating and Maintenance Manual, ClevelandGoogle Scholar
- 21.Koffman A, Wang Y, Shields S (2007) Three-terminal precision standard capacitor calibrations at NIST. NIST measurment services, NIST Special Publication 250–76Google Scholar