Compact Drive Circuit for Capacitive Wireless Power Transfer System Utilizing Leakage-Enhanced Transformer
In capacitively-coupled wireless power transmission (C-WPT), drive circuit topologies with various impedance matching or compensation techniques have been widely investigated in conventional studies, but they tend to increase the circuit complexity and thus offset the simplicity of the energy link structure which is a unique advantage over the inductively-coupled power transmission. In this paper, through systematic considerations on various matching schemes, a compact drive circuit with leakage-enhanced transformer is proposed in order to minimize the circuit volume for the capacitive power transfer system. In the proposed topology, the integrated transformer handles quality factor control as well as reactive compensation. Consequently, it reduces the number of components, the overall system volume, and the voltage stress of the energy link capacitor. The optimal design guideline of the leakage-enhanced transformer is also presented. Comparisons with the conventional method considering the circuit volume and component stress show the advantage of the proposed scheme, and feasibility of the new topology is verified with 10 W prototype hardware.
KeywordsImpedance matching Wireless power transfer Magnetic integration Volume reduction
This work was supported by the 2015 Research Fund of University of Ulsan, Republic of Korea.
- 1.Rim CT (2010) Technical difficulties of wireless power transfer. Trans Korean Inst Power Electron 15(6):32–39Google Scholar
- 3.Patil D, Yang Z, Fahimi B (2017) A wireless powered EV battery charger for sinusoidal current charging technique with maximum efficiency control. In: 2017 IEEE Transportation Electrification Conference and Expo (ITEC), Chicago, IL, USA, pp 613–620Google Scholar
- 6.Kline M, Izyumin I, Boser B, Sanders S (2011) Capacitive power transfer for contactless charging. In: 2011 Twenty-Sixth Annual IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition (APEC), Fort Worth, TX, pp 1398–1404Google Scholar
- 11.Luo B, Mai R, Chen Y, Zhang Y, He Z (2017) A voltage stress optimization method of capacitive power transfer charging system. In: 2017 IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition (APEC), Tampa, FL, USA, pp 1456–1461Google Scholar
- 12.Simone D, Adragna C, Spini C (2008) Design guideline for magnetic integration in LLC resonant converters. In: International Symposium on Power Electronics, pp 950–957Google Scholar
- 13.Erickson RW, Maksimovic D (2001) Fundamentals of Power Electronics, 2nd edn, chap 13. Kluwer Academic PressGoogle Scholar
- 15.Snelling EC (1969) Soft ferrites-properties and applications, 2nd edn. Iliffe Books LTD, London, pp 337–358Google Scholar