Silica Nano-particle Anneal Treatment and Its Effect on Chemical Mechanical Polishing
Chemical mechanical polishing is the only one technology to obtain global planarization, which is widely applied to polish silicon, copper dual damascene structure, high/low K dielectric materials, tungsten plugs, poly-silicon gates and shallow trench isolation structure. SiO2 is widely used as abrasive for its superior properties like stability, suspension property and low viscosity There are lots of studies on silica properties. However, the detailed silica surface, inner characteristic and its effect on polishing performance are still unclear. we must also explore the silica nano-particle tiny structure difference, so we designed an experiment that we anneal the colloid silica and re-dispersed it to analyze the variety of particles properties and its influences on CMP performance.
The water glass was purchased from the market. KOH (90%) and H2SO4 (98%) were purchased commercially from Shanghai Aladdin Bio-Chem technology Co., Ltd. All reagents were of analytical grade and used without further purification.
Diluted KOH or H2SO4 were added to 1 wt% annealed silica slurry to adjust pH value to 11.0. The slurry was milled in the polishing process. Arsenic doped 4 inch (100) silicon wafer was used to polish. The structural and morphological evolution of silica nano-particles induced by heat treatment are studied by scanning electron microscopy (SEM), X-Ray diffraction (XRD), Fourier transform infrared spectrum (FTIR), differential thermal (DTA) and thermal gravimetric analysis (TGA), which disclose the external and internal structure.
KeywordsSilicon Chemical mechanical polishing Colloid silica Nano-indentation
Thanks for discussion of manager Yong Peng from Chizhou NationT Semiconductor CO., LTD. This work is sponsored by Anhui Province Science and Technology Major Project (Grant no. 17030901009), the Key University Natural Science Research Project of Anhui Province (KJ2014A208),Research Foundation for School Talents of Hefei Normal University (Grant no. 2016rcjj07);and the horizontal subject from Chizhou NationT Semiconductor CO., LTD, the title is design and application development of SIP packaging technology based on copper substrate.
- 2.Wang H, Zhang Z, Lu S (2018) Study of several silica properties influence on sapphire CMP. J Electr Eng Technol 13(2):886–891Google Scholar
- 3.Bulick AS, Nishizawa H, Moriyama K, Yoshida K, Ezawa S, Arumugam S (2017) Chemical mechanical polishing composition for polishing a sapphire surface and methods of using same. Google PatentsGoogle Scholar
- 10.Seo Y-J, Lee W-S (2006) Chemical mechanical polishing characteristics of barium titanate thin films using mixed abrasive slurry. J Korean Phys Soc 48(6):1651–1656Google Scholar
- 20.Zhuravlev LT (1993) Characterization of amorphous silica surface. Colloids Surf A 50(1-2):15–25Google Scholar
- 21.Iler RK (1979) The chemistry of silica: solubility, polimerization, colloid and surface properties, and biochemistry. Wiley, Oxford, p 11Google Scholar
- 22.Bergna HE, Roberts WO (2005) Colloidal silica: fundamentals and applications. CRC Press, Boca RatonGoogle Scholar
- 24.Bergna HE (1994) Colloid chemistry of silica. American Chemical Society, Washington DC, pp 1–47Google Scholar