Briefing the Canadian Government on Experimental Voter Policy: Lessons Learned
In 2016, the newly elected House of Commons of Canada formed the Special Committee on Electoral Reform (ERRE) and tasked it with identifying alternatives to the current federal first-past-the-post election system that (a) were perceived as fair, (b) encouraged more Canadians to cast their vote, (c) were accessible to all Canadians, (d) functioned with integrity, and (e) connected local concerns to national policy (House of Commons of Canada, 2016). We submitted an application to speak to the special committee as expert witnesses and were invited to speak at the committee’s public consultation meeting on September 28, 2016, in Vancouver, British Columbia (Lang & Witts, 2016). At that time, we were completing a behavioral assessment of voter turnout that investigated the putative influence of compulsory voting, the density of polling stations to voters, and party control in two-party systems (Lang & Witts, 2018). Because the committee was mandated to investigate tactics that encourage...
KeywordsDissemination Government briefings Behavior analysis Elections Policy
- Critchfield, T. S., Doepke, K. J., Epting, L. K., Becirevic, A., Reed, D. D., Fienup, D. M., et al. (2017). Normative emotional responses to behavior analysis jargon or how not to use words to win friends and influence people. Behavior Analysis in Practice, 10(2), 97–106. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40617-016-0161-9.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- House of Commons of Canada. (2016). Journals: Tuesday, June 7th. Journals of the House of Commons, 67, 559–572.Google Scholar
- Lang, H., & Witts, B. N. (2016). Experimental electoral reform: Towards evidence-based decision making (Brief No. BR8464855). Retrieved from the Government of Canada’s Special Committee on Electoral Reform website: http://www.ourcommons.ca/content/Committee/421/ERRE/Brief/BR8464855/br-external/LangH.&WittsB.N.-e.pdf
- Lang, H., & Witts, B. N. (2018). Macro-level analyses of voter behaviour. European Journal of Behavior Analysis. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1080/15021149.2018.1546795.
- Pinker, S. (2014). The sense of style: The thinking person’s guide to writing in the 21st century. New York: Penguin.Google Scholar
- Special Committee on Electoral Reform. (2016a). Strengthening democracy in Canada: Principles, process, and public engagement for electoral reform. Retrieved from http://www.ourcommons.ca/DocumentViewer/en/42-1/ERRE/report-3/
- Special Committee on Electoral Reform. (2016b). Evidence—Wednesday, September 28, 2016, Minutes. Retrieved from https://www.ourcommons.ca/Content/Committee/421/ERRE/Evidence/EV8454527/ERREEV32-E.PDF