Genetic diversity using RAPD markers, mineral composition and their correlation in selected local landraces of finger millet [Eleusine coracana (L.) Gaertn.]
- 25 Downloads
Twelve local cultivars of finger millet [Eleusine coracana (L.) Gaertn.] were evaluated for their molecular diversity and mineral composition. Twelve selected RAPD primers generated 162 amplified fragments with an average of 13.5 bands per primer and 86.08% polymorphism. The average PIC, EMR, MI and RP values were 0.30, 5.79, 1.75 and 5.97 respectively, per primer. The Jaccard’s similarity coefficient values ranged from 0.44 to 0.67. The dendrogram grouped 12 finger millet cultivars into three distinctive groups based on their divergence analysis which indicates that significant genetic diversity was present among the cultivars. Among the major elements, average calcium content was found to be highest in all the cultivars followed by sodium, sulphur and nitrogen. The average content of manganese was followed by zinc and iron between the minor elements. The correlation studies between genetic diversity using Shannon diversity index and mineral content showed positive correlation among all the minerals studied excluding nitrogen. Genetic diversity combined with mineral datasets will be useful for selection of suitable cultivars for improvement of nutritional values in finger millet varieties through conventional and molecular breeding approaches.
KeywordsDiversity Eleusine coracana Mineral constituents Population RAPD
Financial assistance by University Grants Commission (UGC), New Delhi and Department of Science and Technology (DST), Government of India and DST-PURSE are gratefully acknowledged. Authors are also grateful to Yashavantrao Chavan Institute of Science, Satara for financial support under DBT–STAR college scheme, Financial Assistance to faculty for self-funded Project and providing necessary laboratory facilities.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare no conflict of interest.
- Ahmed MS, Gardezi SD (2017) Molecular characterization of locally adopted sugarcane (Saccharum officinarum L.) varieties using microsatellite markers. J Anim Plant Sci 27:164–174Google Scholar
- Bantawa P, Das A, Ghosh PB, Mondal TK (2011) Detection of natural diversity of Gaultheria fragrantissima landraces by RAPDs: an endangered woody oil bearing plant of Indo-China Himalayas. Ind J Biotechnol 10:294–300Google Scholar
- Chandrashekar A (2010) Finger Millet: Eleusine coracana. In: Taylor SL (ed) Advances in food and nutrition research. Academic Press, Burlington, pp 215–262Google Scholar
- Datta K, Rai M, Parkhi V, Oliva N, Tan J, Datta SK (2006) Improved ‘golden’ indica rice and post-transgeneration enhancement of metabolic target products of carotenoids (b-carotene) in transgenic elite cultivars (IR64 and BR29). Curr Sci 91:935–939Google Scholar
- Doyle JJ, Doyle JL (1990) Isolation of plant DNA from fresh tissue. Focus 12:13–15Google Scholar
- Fakrudin B, Shashidhar HE, Kulkarni RS, Hittalmani S (2004) Genetic diversity assessment of finger millet, Eleusine coracana (Gaertn.), germplasm through RAPD analysis. PGR Newslett 138:50–54Google Scholar
- Kumar A, Mirza N, Charan T, Sharma N, Gaur VS (2014b) Isolation, characterization and immunolocalization of a seed dominant CaM from finger millet (Eleusine coracana L. Gartn.) for studying its functional role in differential accumulation of calcium in developing grains. Appl Biochem Biotechnol 172:2955–2973CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Naikawadi VB, Ahire ML, Lokhande VH, Ghorpade RP, Nikam TD (2016) Morphological, biochemical and molecular characterization of Evolvulus alsinoides Linn.: a memory enhancing herb. Ind J Biotechnol 15:48–56Google Scholar
- Nedumaran S, Bantilan MCS, Gupta SK, Irshad A, Davis JS (2014) Potential welfare benefit of millets improvement research at ICRISAT: multi country-economic surplus model approach, socioeconomics discussion paper series number 15. ICRISAT, HyderabadGoogle Scholar
- Ramakrishnan M, Ceasar SA, Duraipandiyan V, Al-Dhabi NA, Ignacimuthu S (2016) Assessment of genetic diversity, population structure and relationships in Indian and non-Indian genotypes of finger millet (Eleusine coracana (L.) Gaertn.) using genomic SSR markers. SpringerPlus 5:120CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Rohlf FJ (1992) NTSYS-pc. Numerical Taxonomy and multivariate analysis system: version 2.02e. Applied Biostatistics, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Shashi BK, Sunanda S, Shailaja H, Shankar AG, Nagarathna TK (2007) Micronutrient composition, antinutritional factors and bioaccessibility of iron in different finger millet (Eleusine coracana) genotypes. Karnataka J Agric Sci 20:583–585Google Scholar
- Talebi R, Haghnazari A, Tabatabaei I (2010) Assessment of genetic variation within international collection of Brassica rapa genotypes using inter simple sequence repeat DNA markers. Biharean Biologist 4:145–151Google Scholar