Iron Ore Concentrate Particle Size Controlling Through Application of Microwave at the HPGR Feed
- 33 Downloads
Nowadays, the HPGR (high-pressure grinding rolls) is an intermediate step between filtering and balling in the most modern iron ore pelletizing operation. The operation debottlenecks filtering process and reduces pressure over the typical milling process to control particle size to the balling. The present study evaluated aspects of microwave application to the iron ore concentrate fed to HPGR in a bench scale unit. Iron ore concentrate was irradiated varying the microwave exposure time and grinding efficiency was evaluated. The moisture influence in the HPGR efficiency was also assessed. The pellet feed blaine surface area (BSA) improved by 300 cm2/g and % < 325# fraction by 3%. Scanning electron microscope (SEM) images show the formation of micro-cracks onto the particle surface induced by microwave; the effect observed helped improve the milling process performance, in addition to the moisture reduction observed due to the temperature increase.
KeywordsHPGR Microwave Moisture Pelletizing
The authors would like to thank Samarco Mining, CAPES-PROEX, CNPq, and FAPEMIG for stimulating and supporting research.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 1.Sportel H, Droog J (1997) Influence of pore saturation on compressive strength of green iron-ore pellets. Ironmaking Steelmaking 24(3):221–223Google Scholar
- 3.Nunes SF, Viera CB, Goulart LC, Fonseca MC (2014) Influência da Carga Circulante do Pelotamento na Qualidade Física das Pelotas, 2o Simpósio Brasileiro de Aglomeração de Minério de Ferro. Belo Horizonte, MG, BrasilGoogle Scholar
- 7.Leonel CML, Peres AEC (2013) Calcination as additional unit operation in the pelletizing of iron ores presenting high contents of loss on ignition. Ingeniería. Universidad de Atacama 29:1–12Google Scholar
- 23.Alves, Vladmir Kronemberger, 2015, Claudio Luiz Schneider, Thaís Brasil Duque, Douglas B. Mazzinghy, and Antônio E.C. Peres. Sample requirements for HPGR testing procedure.. Miner Eng 73: 31–38. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mineng.2014.12.007
- 27.Abouzeid AM, Fuerstenau DW (2009) Grinding of mineral mixtures in high-pressure grinding rolls. Int J Miner Process 93(1):59–65. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.minpro.2009.05.008