Free Fluid-Structure Interaction Method for Accurate Nonlinear Dynamic Characteristics of the Plain Gas Journal Bearings
- 9 Downloads
Comprehensive and deep understanding of the accurate nonlinear dynamic characteristics of the gas journal bearings plays an important role for reliable design of the rotor-bearing system.
In this paper, the accurate nonlinear dynamics of a flexible rotor supported by two plain gas journal bearings (PGJB) are investigated by the free fluid-structure interaction method (FFSIM). The FFSIM does not make any simplifying assumptions, considers the interactions between the rotor shaft and the bearing sleeve at each transient time and uses the three-dimensional models for calculation. First, accuracy of the FFSIM is verified by the published experimental results. Then, bifurcation analysis, effects of rotating speed and rotor mass on shaft orbits, phase portraits and frequency response curves of the PGJB rotor system are performed, respectively.
Results and Conclusions
Results show that, under the same rotor system and boundary conditions, compared with the simplified two-dimensional analytical methods commonly seen in the open literature, the FFSIM could give more detailed and accurate nonlinear dynamic characteristics of the rotor-bearing system. The research of this paper is expected to further and deeply understand the accurate nonlinear dynamic characteristics of the PGJB rotor system.
KeywordsPlain gas journal bearings Nonlinear dynamic characteristics Free fluid-structure interaction method Bifurcation analysis
The research is supported by the National Natural Science of China under Grant no. 51575378 and 11502162, and the Natural Science Foundation of Tianjin under Grant no. 13JCZDJC34900 and 15JCQNJC05100. YS is also supported by the Seed Foundation of Tianjin University (No. 1405), the fund (No. SV2015-KF-02) from State Key Laboratory for Strength and Vibration of Mechanical Structures (Xi’an Jiaotong University), the fund (No. GZ1408) from State Key Laboratory of Structural Analysis for Industrial Equipment (Dalian University of Technology), the fund (No. MSV201611) from State Key Laboratory of Mechanical System and Vibration (Shanghai Jiaotong University).
- 16.Piekos E S (2000) Numerical simulation of gas-lubricated journal bearings for microfabricated machines. PhD thesis, Department of Aeronautics and Astronautics, MITGoogle Scholar
- 19.Wang B, Sun YT, Ding Q (2016) Dynamic characteristics of the herringbone groove gas journal bearings: numerical simulations. Shock Vib 2016:1–13Google Scholar
- 31.Feng K, Zhang M, Li WJ, Jin P, Wang XG (2018) Theoretical design, manufacturing, and numerical prediction of a novel multileaf foil journal gas bearing for PowerMEMs. Proceedings of the institution of mechanical engineers, part J. J Eng Tribol 232(7):823–836Google Scholar
- 38.Zhang XQ, Wang XL, Zhang YY (2013) Non-linear dynamic analysis of the ultra-short micro gas journal bearing-rotor systems considering viscous friction effects. Nonlinear Dyn 73(1–2):751–765Google Scholar
- 51.Han D, Yang J, Chen C, Tang C (2014) Experimental research on the dynamic characteristics of gas-hybrid bearing-flexible rotor system. J Vibroeng 16(5):2363–2374Google Scholar