Electrical and optical property measurement of nickel-doped barium stannate synthesized by modified solid state sintering
- 18 Downloads
Mechanical mixing of precursors followed by sintering at 1350 °C treated for 2 h were performed to synthesize nickel-doped barium stannate BaSn1-x NixO3 with x = 0.05, 0.10 and 0.15. The phase formation of synthesized material was identified by X-ray Diffractogram (XRD), which confirms a cubic perovskite structure as major constituent. The crystallite size and plane of orientation were calculated from the diffraction pattern. The morphological behaviour was studied from SEM images, and the chemical constituents of the synthesized materials were identified from EDX spectra. Bond formation and M—O coordination of the synthesized materials were identified from FTIR absorption spectra corresponding to symmetric and asymmetric stretches of bonding. Optical properties of the sintered samples were measured by UV—V spectroscopy. The bandgap of the synthesized material was calculated from the spectrograph. The photoluminescence characteristics were studied from PL spectra. The nanocrystalline behaviour of the material was assessed from HRTEM images and SAED patterns. The electrical measurements in terms of dielectric and ferroelectric properties were measured for various concentrations of doped materials.
KeywordsNanocrystalline bandgap luminescence dielectric ferroelectric microstructure phase analysis
The authors are greatly indebted to the Department of Metallurgical and Materials Engineering, JU, Kolkata, India, for giving us the opportunity to take up this interesting project work. It is our privilege to convey our heartiest thanks to Mr. Sudhir Ghosh for the supporting XRD facilities, Dr. Jhimli Sarkar for UV—VIS, Mr. Uttam Kumar Ghorai and Mr. Nilesh Majumdar for photoluminescence and dielectric property studies, respectively. We also thank Dr. Nirmalya Das for the TEM facilities and Dr. Angshuman Sil, CGCRI, for providing the PE loop facilities.
- Upadhyay, Shail, Kavitha, P.: Lanthanum doped Barium Stannate for humidity sensor Mater. Lett. 61 (2007) [8–9] 1912–1915Google Scholar
- Varadan, V.K., Ghodgaonkar, D.K., Varadan, V.V., Kelly, J.F., Glikerdas, P.: Ceramic phase shifters for electronickelcally steerable antenna systems. Microwave. J. 35 (1992)  116–122Google Scholar
- Babbitt, R.W., Koscica, T.E., Drach, W.C.: Planar microwave electro-optic phase shifters. Microwave. J. 35 (1992)  63–69Google Scholar
- Subbarao, E.C.: Ferroelectrics. Ceramic dielectrics for capacitors. 35 (1981)  143–148Google Scholar
- Cullity, B. D.: Elements of X-ray diffraction. Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, Inc., Reading, Massachusetts (1956), ISBN 0-201-01174-3Google Scholar
- Maity, Ashima., Mukherjee, Soumya., Chowdhury, M.G., Mukherjee, Siddhartha.: Phase evaluation of pure nanocrystalline barium stannate by two different milling Activations, Interceram 64 [6–7] (2015) 276–280Google Scholar
- Maity, Adak Asima, Soumya Mukherjee, Soumya, Chowdhury, M.G., Chakraborty, Tamali, Mukherjee, Siddhartha: Phase Evaluation, microscopy and band gap of Fe-doped nanocrystalline BaSnO3 by solid-sate sintering assisted with agate-mortar activation. Int. J. Current Eng. & Technol. 5 (2015)  3829–3834Google Scholar
- Charles, M.W.H., Nickel Jr., E.S. Gregory, E.S.: Physical Properties of Semiconductors. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey (1989) ISBN 9780136699958Google Scholar
- Cerda, J., Arbiol, J., Díaz, R., Dezanneau, G., Morante, J.R.: Synthesis of perovskite-type BaSnO3 particles obtained by a new simple wet chemical route based on a sol—gel process. Mater. Lett. 56 (2002)  131—136Google Scholar
- Maity, Adak Ashima, Mukherjee, Soumya, Chaudhuri, Ghosh Mahua, Mukherjee, Siddhartha: Phase evolution, microscopic analysis, optical and dielectric property evaluation of Co-doped BaSnO3 by mechanical mix assisted solid state sintering method. AIMS Material Science. 3 (2016)  1281–1293CrossRefGoogle Scholar