Identification of powdery mildew disease on Cleome rutidosperma caused by Podosphaera xanthii in Odisha, India
Symptom of powdery mildew was observed for the first time on medicinal Cleome rutidosperma herb in different locations in Odisha, India. The fungus was isolated from the leaf surfaces and its pathogenicity was confirmed. The fungus was identified based on morphological characteristics and confirmed comparing the DNA sequences of internal transcribed spacer regions 1 and 2 plus 5.8S rDNA. This report is the first on C. rutidosperma powdery mildew disease caused by Podosphaera xanthii.
KeywordsPowdery mildew Podosphaera xanthii Cleome rutidosperma ITS
This work was supported by funds from the Odisha state government, India. The authors are thankful to the CEO, RPRC, Odisha, India for providing all necessary facilities during the study.
Compliance with ethical standards
This article follows the experimental guidelines of the country.
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Atheya SC, Mathur RS (1966) Cercospora uramenisis Chupp and Muller on Gynandropsis gynandra (L.) Briq. Sci Cult 32:5–47Google Scholar
- Braun U (1987) A monograph of the Erysiphales (powdery mildews). Beihefte zur Nova Hedwigia 89:1–700Google Scholar
- Chakraborty A, Roy H (2010) Evaluation of anti-arthritic activity of ethanolic extract of Cleome rutidosperma. J Pharm Sci Technol 2:330–332Google Scholar
- Raghava RJ, Purnachandra RA (1980) Powdery mildews on plants of Capparidaceae and Euphorbiaceae. Acta Bot Indica 8:87–90Google Scholar
- Singh NI (1983) Some new host records from India II. Mildew fungus, Oidiopsis taurica on Gynandropsis gynandra. Indian Phytopathol 36:152Google Scholar
- Waterhouse B, Mitchell A (1998) Northern Australia quarantine strategy weeds target list, 2nd edn. AQIS Miscellaneous Publication, Canberra, p 29Google Scholar
- White TJ, Bruns T, Lee S, Taylor J (1990) Amplification and direct sequencing of fungal ribosomal RNA genes for phylogenetics. In: Innis MA, Gelfand DH, Sninsky JJ, White TJ (eds) PCR protocols: a guide to methods and applications. Academic Press, New York, pp 315–322Google Scholar
- Widespread JM (1972) Flora Malesiana Series I, vol 6. National Herbarium of the Netherlands, Leiden, p 61Google Scholar