Effects of yttrium and zirconium additions on inclusions and mechanical properties of a reduced activation ferritic/martensitic steel
- 45 Downloads
The effects of two alloying elements, i.e., yttrium (Y) and zirconium (Zr), on the inclusion, microstructure, tensile property and impact toughness of reduced activation ferritic/martensitic (RAFM) steel are analyzed. The size and number of particles were determined by optical microscopy, and the particle types were examined by scanning electron microscopy. The size of ~ 20% and ~ 85% of the inclusions lied in the range of 0.5–1.0 μm and 0.5–3.0 μm, respectively. In Y- and Y–Zr-containing specimens, the density of the fine inclusions, with a size less than 0.5 μm, was found to be 1.06 × 1017 and 9.82 × 1016 m−3, respectively. All specimens were normalized at 1323 K for 30 min and tempered at 923 and 1023 K for 90 min, resulting in the formation of tempered martensite with M23C6 carbides and MX precipitates. Zr-containing RAFM steel tempered at 923 K formed M23C6 carbides and nano-sized carbides with Zr, conferring superior strength balance and impact toughness. The yield strength of alloy reached 695 MPa, and a low ductile–brittle transition temperature of 238 K was maintained.
Keywords9Cr oxide-dispersion-strengthened steel Inclusion Mechanical property DBTT Yttrium Zirconium
The authors are grateful for the support from the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Nos. 51874081 and 51574063) and Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities (N150204012).
- H. Fu, T. Nagasaka, T. Muroga, A. Kimura, S. Ukai, Plasma and Fusion Research 11 (2017) 1–5.Google Scholar
- P. Dou, X. Zhang, A. Kimura, Y.H. He, C. Liu, Mater. Sci. 7 (2017) 413–422.Google Scholar
- L.N. Guo, C.C. Jia, B.F. Hu, H.Y. Li, Mater. Sci. Eng. A 527 (2010) 5220–5224.Google Scholar
- C.H. Wu, L.F. Sun, C.B. Lai, Z.H. Deng, Q.X. Fu, C.Q. Yuan, Iron Steel Van Tit 37 (2016) 139–146.Google Scholar
- W.P. Ye, Y.S. Lin, Ordn. Mater Sci. Eng. 152 (1988) No. 4, 35–41.Google Scholar
- Q.X. Sun, Y. Zhou, Q.F. Fang, R. Gao, T. Zhang, X.P. Wang, J. Alloy. Compd. 598 (598) 243–247.Google Scholar
- F. Zhao, K.B. Wan, F.R. Wan, Y. long, Y.L. Xu, Q.Y. Huang. Mater. Sci. Forum 475-479 (2005) 1383–1386.Google Scholar