Oxidation behavior and lifetime prediction of three commercial alloys used in power plants at 550 °C in CO2 environment
- 10 Downloads
The oxidation behaviors of CrMoV, F91, and 310S alloys in CO2 at 550 °C for up to 1000 h were studied by weight change measurements, scanning electron microscopy, X-ray diffraction, Raman microscopy, optical microscopy, and glow discharge optical emission spectroscopy. 310S showed the best oxidation resistance followed by F91 and then CrMoV. Both CrMoV and F91 formed a duplex oxide layer, consisted of Fe2O3, Fe3O4, and Fe–Cr spinel, while 310S formed NiFe2O4 spinel and Cr2O3. Carburization was only observed in F91 and 310S alloys. The rates of metal loss were evaluated for long-term applications in power plants.
KeywordsLow-alloy steel 9Cr steel Stainless steel High-temperature corrosion Carburization
This work was supported by the National Magnetic Confinement Fusion Energy Research Project of China (2015GB118001) and Tsinghua University Initiative Scientific Research Program. The authors also would like to thank Beijing Shougang Co., Ltd. for GDOES analysis.
- M.P. Boyce, Gas turbine engineering handbook, 2nd ed., Gulf Professional Publishing, USA, 2002.Google Scholar
- T. Kishi, Materials outlook for energy and environment, New material science of the 21st century towards the solution of energy and environment issues, National Institute for Materials Science (NIMS), Japan, 2008.Google Scholar
- G.H. Meier, K. Jung, N. Mu, N.M. Yanar, F.S. Pettit, J. Pirón Abellán, T. Olszewski, L. Nieto Hierro, W.J. Quadakkers, G.R. Holcomb, Oxid. Met. 74 (2010) 319–340.Google Scholar
- G. Golanski, P. Wieczorek, Arch. Found. Eng. 9 (2009) 97–102.Google Scholar
- D.L.A. de Faria, S. Venâncio Silva, M.T. de Oliveira, J. Raman Spectrosc. 28 (1997) 873–878.Google Scholar
- Mineral spectra collected at the Physics Department of the University of Parma, Mineral Raman DataBase, https://www.fis.unipr.it/phevix/ramandb.php?plot=Magnetite1&submit=Go.
- M. da Cunha Belo, M. Walls, N.E. Hakiki, J. Corset, E. Picquenard, G. Sagon, D. Noël, Corros. Sci. 40 (1998) 447–463.Google Scholar
- J. Pirón Abellán, T. Olszewski, H.J. Penkalla, G.H. Meier, L. Singheiser, W.J. Quadakkers, Mater. High Temp. 26 (2009) 63–72.Google Scholar