Structural performance of Nissibi cable-stayed bridge during the main and aftershocks of Adıyaman-Samsat earthquake on March 2, 2017
- 12 Downloads
The structural performances of long span cable-stayed bridges having different elements such as pylons, stayed cables and decks are very sensitive to earthquake ground motions due to their highly statically indeterminacy. Therefore, responses of pylon, cable and deck components of long span cable-stayed bridges should be continuously monitored to prevent structural damages. The present study aims to investigate the responses of pylons, stayed cables and deck components of Nissibi cable-stayed bridge during the main (Mw = 5.5) and aftershocks (Mw = 3.5-4.4) of Adıyaman-Samsat (Turkey) earthquake on March 2, 2017. Firstly, the properties of structural and fixed monitoring systems of Nissibi bridge are introduced, and active faults and earthquake zoning maps of Adıyaman, acceleration records and shake map of main and aftershocks of the earthquake are presented. Then, responses of the pylon, deck and cable elements during the main and aftershocks are obtained using the data taken from the fixed bridge monitoring system. The forces in cables and accelerations in the two pylons and deck are evaluated and compared with each other.
KeywordsCable-stayed bridge Adıyaman-Samsat earthquake (March 2, 2017) Main and aftershock effects Bridge monitoring
The authors would like to express sincere thanks to General Directorate of Highways, the 9th Regional Directorate of Highways, GÜLSAN Inc. and EMAY Inc. for their contributions.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
On behalf of all authors, the corresponding author states that there is no conflict of interest
- AFAD. (2017). Republic of Turkey Prime Ministry Disaster & Emergency Management Authority. http://kyhdata.deprem.gov.tr/2K/kyhdata_v4.php. Accessed 5 Oct 2017.
- Chen, G., Yan, D., Wang, W., Zheng, M., Ge, L., & Liu, F. (2007). Assessment of the bill emerson memorial cable-stayed bridge based on seismic instrumentation data. RI05-023 Final Report, University Transportation Center at the University of Missouri-Rolla, USA.Google Scholar
- Feng, M. Q., Fukuda, Y., Chen, Y., Soyoz, S., Lee, S. (2008). Long-term structural performance monitoring of bridges phase II: Development of baseline model and methodology for health monitoring and damage assessment. Final Report, State of California Department of Transportation, USA.Google Scholar
- İmamoğlu, M. Ş., Bedirhanoğlu, İ., Öncü, M. E., Şimşek, Z. (2017). 02 March 2017 Adiyaman Samsat earthquake pre-evaluation report. Dicle University, Diyarbakır, Turkey.Google Scholar
- NBP. (2012). Nissibi bridge project, Gülsan, Yüksel Proje and Wiecon Company, İstanbul, Turkey.Google Scholar
- NBR. (2015), Nissibi bridge reports. Gülsan Company, İstanbul, Turkey.Google Scholar
- VCE. (2012). Bridge monitoring system, Vienna, Austria.Google Scholar
- Web-1. (2017). http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/448. Accessed 5 Oct 2017.
- Web-2. (2017). http://www.mta.gov.tr/eng/maps/active-fault-1250000. Accessed 5 Oct 2017.
- Web-3. (2017). http://www.deprem.gov.tr/en/Category/earthquake-zoning-map-96531. Accessed 5 Oct 2017.
- Web-4. (2017). http://www.deprem.gov.tr/en/depremdokumanlari/1507. Accessed 5 Oct 2017.
- Web-5. (2017). http://www.jmo.org.tr/genel/bizden_detay.php?kod=9568&tipi=17&sube=0#.WdX6DWi0O70. Accessed 5 Oct 2017.