Influence of load position on critical lateral torsional buckling moment of laterally restrained beam at tense flange
- 28 Downloads
This paper presents an alternative computation approach for the critical moment of lateral-torsional buckling of a simply supported steel beam with continuous lateral elastic restraint. The total potential energy is first established for the lateral-torsional buckling of beams under uniform bending moment and uniform loading. By introducing dimensionless parameters, the dimensionless critical buckling moment equation is given. Effects of lateral restraints stiffness on buckling moment are studied for three positions of loads. Effects of torsional stiffness on critical moment are also studied. A critical buckling moment formula, for a simply supported steel beam with continuous lateral rigid restraint at the tensile flange, is proposed. It was noted that restraint of the tensile flange has a significant influence on the behavior of simply supported beam.
KeywordsLateral-torsional buckling Lateral restraints stiffness Torsional stiffness Critical buckling moment
- Ammari, F., Adman, R., & Boukhalfa, D. (2013). Lateral buckling stability of trussed beam with under uniformly distributed loads. International Journal of Engineering Science and Technology, 5(02), 277–285.Google Scholar
- Anbarasu, M. (2017). A numerical investigation of local–distortional–lateral-torsional buckling interaction of cold-formed steel lipped channel beams. Asian Journal of Civil Engineering (Bhrc), 18(4), 643–656.Google Scholar
- Balázs, I., & Melcher, J. (2015). Lateral torsional buckling of steel thin-walled beams with lateral restraints. Lateral, 1, 31094.Google Scholar
- Beyer, A., Galéa, Y., Bureau, A., & Boissonnade, N. (2015). Elastic Stability of uniform and non-uniform members with arbitrary boundary conditions and intermediate lateral restraints. Paper presented at the Structural Stability Research Council Annual Stability Conference, Nashville, Tennessee, USAGoogle Scholar
- Bureau, A. (2005). SN003 NCCI: Elastic critical moment for lateral torsional buckling: Tech. rept. Access Steel. Retrieved from http://www.access-steel.com.
- Galéa, Y. (2003). Elastic critical lateral torsional buckling moment of beams—Presentation of LTBeam. (in French). Revue Construction Métallique, 2, 47–76.Google Scholar
- Timoshenko, S. P., & Gere, J. M. (1966). Théorie de la stabilité élastique. Paris: Dunod,| c1966, 2eme ed. Google Scholar
- Wang, Q. (2002). Spline finite member element method for lateral buckling of thin-walled members with openings. Asian Journal of Civil Engineering (BHRC), 03(01), 1–12.Google Scholar
- Yerudkar, D., & Vesmawala, G. (2017). Finite element analysis research on buckling behaviour of unrestrained stiffened cold formed steel channel and zed sections. Asian Journal of Civil Engineering (BHRC), 18(7), 1041–1057.Google Scholar
- Yura, J. A. (2001). Fundamentals of beam bracing. Engineering Journal-American Institute of Steel Construction, 38(1), 11–26.Google Scholar
- Zhang, W. F., Sui, H. Y., Wang, Z., & Ji, J. (2011). Buckling analysis of two-span continuous beams with lateral elastic brace under uniform load. Paper presented at the Advanced Materials Research.Google Scholar