Discussion on the Fluorosis in Seawater-Intrusion Areas Along Coastal Zones in Laizhou Bay and Other Parts of China
- 37 Downloads
Fluorosis and seawater intrusion are very typical along coastal area in Laizhou Bay and other places of China. The groundwater characteristics change due to seawater intrusion, which results in the increase of Na+, HCO3−, pH, TDS, hardness, conductivity and the decrease of Ca2+. Meanwhile, high fluorine in groundwater is related to soft and alkaline conditions, which are depleted in Ca2+ and enriched in Na+. Such conditions result in more fluorine release from rocks or soils, thus the fluorosis along coastal zones is related to seawater intrusion. The fluorosis and seawater intrusion along the coastal zones in Laizhou Bay and other places of China are analyzed in detail, which is useful for further understanding of fluorosis along coastal zones.
Drinking-water fluorosis and seawater intrusion along coastal zones are universal.
The high Na+, HCO3−, pH, TDS and low Ca2+ evoked by seawater intrusion result in the high fluorine leaching ability.
Seawater intrusion is the important dynamic of groundwater fluorine enrichment along coastal zones.
KeywordsFluorosis Groundwater Seawater intrusion Laizhou Bay China
This work is supported by the Natural Science Fund of Shandong Province (ZR2018MD012, ZR2015DM013), Natural Science Fund of China (No. 40901027, 41572244), 2017 Special Fund for Scientific Research of Shandong Coalfield Geologic Bureau [2017(10)], Ministry of Education Research Fund for the Doctoral Program (20133718110004), and Taishan Scholars Construction Projects Funded by Special Funds.
- Chen ZH, Lin ZH, Lin BX, Lin XX (2010) Analysis on drinking water type endemic fluorosis area of Fujian in 2008. Chin J Endem Disaster 25(2):135–137 (in Chinese) Google Scholar
- Chen JP, Mao HT, Wang MY (2015) Distribution characteristics and development mechanism of fluorine in deep groundwater in Cangzhou area. China. Earth Environ 43(6):607–618 (in Chinese) Google Scholar
- Fu NS, Wu FZ (1990) The treatment effect of exhaust gas from bearing-fluorine flue in brick factory. Acta Agric Univ Zhejiang 5:66–68 (in Chinese) Google Scholar
- Guo JY, Wang JB, Hu ZB, Hwang C, Chen CF (2015) Temporal-spatial variations of sea level over China seas derived from altimeter data of TOPEX/Poseidon, Jason-1 and Jason-2 from 1993 to 2012. Chin J Geophys-CH 58(9):3103–3120Google Scholar
- He J, Zhang FC, Han SB, Li XF, Yao XJ, Zhang H (2010) The distribution and genetic types of high-fluoride groundwater in northern China. Geol China 37(3):621–626 (in Chinese) Google Scholar
- Huang L, Guo ZR (2008) Mechanism of sea water intrusion in China’s coastal areas and its prevention countermeasures. Chin J Geol Hazard Control 19(2):118–123 (in Chinese) Google Scholar
- Jia CP, Chen Q, Wei JC, Wang HM, Shi LQ, Ning FZ, Liu SL, Yang MY, Xue X, Dong FY, Jia ZW, Ji YH (2019). The study on the mechanism of fluorine transformation between water and rock (soil) in seawater intrusion areas based on FTIR spectrum. Spectrosc Spect Anal. https://doi.org/10.3964/j.issn.1000-0593(2019)03-00-05 Google Scholar
- Jiang H (2008) High-fluorine groundwater in eastern Henan Yellow River alluvial plain and drinking water safety. Explor Sci Technol 2:49–53 (in Chinese) Google Scholar
- Li CX, Yu ZA, Wu YH (2008) Hydrogeochemical characteristics of high-fluorine groundwater in the Gaomi area, Shandong China. Geol Bull China 27(5):689–699 (in Chinese) Google Scholar
- Liu ZM (2015) Wastewater treatment engineering design for removing fluorine from water in a factory in Guangdong province. Guangdong Chem 11(42):183–185 (in Chinese) Google Scholar
- Ren R, Ma KJ (1991) Study of high fluorine groundwater in east of Heibei plain. Site Investig Sci Technol 2(1):25–33 (in Chinese) Google Scholar
- Salve PR, GobreT Krupadam RJ, Shastry S, Bansiwal A, Wate SR (2011) Chemical characterization of rainwater at Akkalkuwa. India. Mausam 62(3):425–432Google Scholar
- Shang L, Wang Y, Xia YT, Wang CS, Wang PH (2017) Evaluation of health promotion effect on endemic fluorosis in Jiangsu province. Jiangsu J Prev Med 28(4):382–383 (in Chinese) Google Scholar
- Tan JA (1990) The atlas of endemic diseases and their environments in the People’s Republic of China. Science Press, Beijing (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Wang LF, Chen Q, Long XP, Wu XB, Sun L (2015) Comparative analysis of groundwater fluorine levels and other characteristics in two areas of Laizhou Bay and its explanation on fluorine enrichment. Water Sci Technol: WS 15(2):384–394Google Scholar
- Wang SJ, Lan XH, Liu XQ, Han CR (2006) Summary on characteristics of main geological hazard factors in China coast. Chin J Geol Hazard Control 17(4):102–109 (in Chinese) Google Scholar
- Wang F, Zhu ZZ, Li J (2013) Distribution characteristics of groundwater fluorine in Tianjin coastal area. Environ Sci Technol 36(9):45–50 (in Chinese) Google Scholar
- Yan JY, Ning RJ, Ma LM, Wen QA, Wei XC, Du JZ, Ye HB (1995) The type, forming factors and prevention methods of fluorosis in Guangxi province. Guangxi Prev Med 1(5):290–293 (in Chinese) Google Scholar
- Yang L, Gong XL, Lu XR (2015) Distribution and genesis of high-fluoride groundwater in northern Lianyungang area. Geol China 42(4):1161–1169 (in Chinese) Google Scholar
- Yang T, Liu LP, Zhong W, Wen Y, Chi HS (2016) The monitoring of drinking-water fluorosis in Guangdong province in 2015. South China J Prev Med 42(5):482–483 (in Chinese) Google Scholar
- Yang ZL (2016) The influence of hydrochemistry and water cycle for the formation of high fluorosis groundwater in northern plain of Shandong province. Ph. D. Thesis. China University of Geosciences, Wuhan, CHN.Google Scholar
- Yi CY (2013) The migration and transformation rules of fluoride in water-soil system in the typical area of north china plain. Ph. D. Thesis. China University of Geosciences, Wuhan, CHN.Google Scholar
- Yuan JF (2013) Hydrogeochemistry of the Geothermal systems in coastal areas of Guangdong province, South China. Ph. D. Thesis. China University of Geosciences, Wuhan, CHN.Google Scholar
- Zeng JH (1994) Hydrogeochemical behavior and numerical modelling of fluoride-a case study of shallow groundwater system in Xingtai piedmont plain, Hebei province. Ph. D. Thesis. Chinese Academy of Geological Sciences, Beijing, CHN.Google Scholar
- Zhang W, Fu XF, Zhang FR (2004) The relationship between the high fluorine content of groundwater and the pH value, water temperature and the ratio of (Na++K+)/Ca2+: a cause study of Yongcheng mine area. Geol Resour 13(2):109–112 (in Chinese) Google Scholar
- Zhang Y, Zhang YX, Wang JC, Sun JC (2013) The background features of fluoride in groundwater of Pearl River Delta. Environ Chem 32(10):1983–1988Google Scholar
- Zhou JS, Lou XM, Zhu WM, Qin GL, Mao GM (2009) The monitoring of fluorosis in 2008 in Zhejiang province. Zhejiang Prev Med 21(9):16–17 (in Chinese) Google Scholar
- Zuo R, Gu P, Teng YG, Wang Q, Wang JS, Wang B (2015) Spatial distribution and genesis of the high-fluorine groundwater in the Lower Liaohe River Plain. Hydrogeol Eng Geol 42(3):135–141 (in Chinese) Google Scholar