Lessons and prospects of Universal Health Coverage in China: the importance of equity, quality, and affordability
China’s efforts in Universal Health Coverage (UHC) since the birth of the People’s Republic in 1949 has passed four stages: (1) 1949–1983, Maoist UHC; (2) 1984–2003, Deng’s Free-market healthcare experiment; (3) 2004–2008, response to people’s call and restorative efforts; (4) 2009-present, reducing fragmentation, co-payment and improving primary care. The efforts of the first three stages aimed more at extending coverage and service scope, and those of the fourth stage for better equity, quality, and affordability. This article updates recent efforts in the fourth stage and looks ahead to the future after 2018, with the hope of providing references for the world in healthcare reform and development.
KeywordsUniversal Health Coverage China Health policy Healthcare reform
- Beijing Social Insurance Fund Management Center. 2017. Notice on issues related to the participation and payment of basic medical insurance for urban residents in Beijing 2017. http://www.bjrbj.gov.cn/LDJAPP/search/zxfgdetail_new.jsp?no=201609011314264199. Accessed 14 Feb 2019.
- Center for Health Statistics and Information, NHFPC. 2015. Analysis report on the fifth national health service survey (2013). http://www.nhfpc.gov.cn/ewebeditor/uploadfile/2016/10/20161026163512679.pdf. Accessed 14 Feb 2019.
- Chan, Margaret. 2017. Ten years in public health, 2007–2017: report by Dr Margaret Chan, Director-General, World Health Organization. Geneva: World Health Organization https://www.who.int/publications/10-year-review/en/. Accessed 24 Jan 2018.Google Scholar
- Chen, Fei-Yan, Lian-Yun Zhang, Wen-Xiu Yang, Ji Xu, and Da Luo. 2013. Analysis of current situation of primary care system. Chinese Hospital Management 33 (3): 26–27. https://doi.org/10.3969/j.issn.1001-5329.2013.03.011.Google Scholar
- China National Statics Bureau. 2017. China health and family planning statistical yearbook 2017. Beijing: China Union Medical College Press.Google Scholar
- Data Bank of the World Bank Group. 2017. Life expectancy at birth, total (years): China. https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SP.DYN.LE00.IN?locations=CN. Accessed 27 Jan 2018.
- Dong, Xiao-Hong, and Qiang Zhi. 2017. Ten new healthcare reform policies in 2017: ‘two-invoices system’ to promote shuffling. Economic Information Daily, 29 December 2017. http://yuqing.people.com.cn/n1/2017/1229/c394871-29736555.html. Accessed 29 Dec 2017.
- He, Wen-Jiong. 2017. Accelerating the establishment of a unified basic medical insurance system for urban and rural residents. China's Medical Insurance 11: 4–5.Google Scholar
- Huang, Yanzhong. 2002. The Paradoxical transition in China’s health system. Harvard Health Policy Review 3(1). http://www.hcs.harvard.edu/~epihc/currentissue/spring2002/huang.php. Accessed 28 Jan 2018.
- Li, Keqiang. 2014. Report on the work of the government. China Daily, last modified 17 March 2014. http://language.chinadaily.com.cn/news/2014-03/17/content_17350891.htm. Accessed 13 Feb 2019.
- Li, Jie, and Kai Ye. 2013. Analysis and improvement strategy of China’s drug pricing system. China health management 30 (2): 102–105. https://doi.org/10.3969/j.issn.1004-4663.2013.02.008
- Lin, Min-Gang. 2002. Public policy analysis of the rural cooperative medical system in China. Jianghai Academic Journal 3: 91–96. https://doi.org/10.3969/j.issn.1000-856X.2002.03.015.Google Scholar
- Liu, Kun. 2018. Report of the state council on the allocation and use of central budget for health care. Ministry of Finance. http://www.mof.gov.cn/zhengwuxinxi/caizhengxinwen/201812/t20181224_3102786.htm. Accessed 10 Feb 2019.
- Marten, Robert, Diane McIntyre, Claudia Travassos, Sergey Shishkin, Long-De Wang, Srinath Reddy, and Jeanette Vega. 2014. An assessment of progress towards UHC in Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa (BRICS). The Lancet 384 (9960): 2164–2171. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(14)60075-1.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ministry of Health Statistical Information Center. 2005. The third national health service survey. China Hospital 9 (1): 3–11. https://doi.org/10.3969/j.issn.1671-0592.2005.01.003.Google Scholar
- National Health and Family Planning Committee. 2016. Notice on the issuance of guidance on promoting the family doctor contracted community service. NHFPC Document  No.1. http://www.nhfpc.gov.cn/tigs/s3577/201606/e3e7d2670a8b4163b1fe8e409c7887af.shtml. Accessed 21 Jan 2018.
- National Health Commission. 2019. The 2019 national health work conference held in Beijing. Last modified 8 January 2019. http://www.gov.cn/xinwen/2019-01/08/content_5355783.htm. Accessed 13 Feb 2019.
- National People’s Congress. 2015. Law on pharmaceutical products management of People’s Republic of China. http://www.npc.gov.cn/npc/zfjc/zfjcelys/2017-06/27/content_2024479.htm. Accessed 20 Nov 2018.
- OECD. 2017. Pharmaceutical spending (Indicator). https://doi.org/10.1787/998febf6-en. Accessed 20 Nov 2018.
- Rubinstein, Adolfo. 2018. Building more effective health care coverage in Argentina. The BMJ Opinion, 22 May 2018. https://blogs.bmj.com/bmj/2018/05/22/adolfo-rubinstein-building-more-effective-health-care-coverage-in-argentina/. Accessed 28 Feb 2019.
- Shen, Cheng-Feng. 2017. Necessity to adhere to the principles of basic medical insurance in the reimbursement rate adjustment. China Medical Insurance 6: 24.Google Scholar
- State Council Information Office, People’s Republic of China. 2017. Four mature models of medical alliances building. http://www.scio.gov.cn/32344/32345/35889/36475/zy36479/Document/1548448/1548448.htm. Accessed 20 Jan 2018.
- The People’s Daily. 2017. National health input growing by leaps and bounds. Last modified 9 February 2017. http://www.gov.cn/xinwen/2017-02/09/content_5166640.htm. Accessed 8 Feb 2019.
- Wang, Hong-Man. 2017. What reduces people’s ‘sense of gain’ in health care. People’s Tribune 9: 64–66. https://doi.org/10.3969/j.issn.1004-3381.2017.09.023.Google Scholar
- Wen, Jiabao. 2011. Report on the work of the government. China Daily, last modified 27 February 2014. http://language.chinadaily.com.cn/2014npccppcc/2014-02/27/content_17309663.htm. Accessed 10 Feb 2019.
- World Health Organization. 2010. The World Health Organization Report 2010: Health systems financing: the path to universal coverage. Geneva: World Health Organization. https://www.who.int/whr/2010/en/. Accessed 10 April 2018.
- World Health Organization. 2018. Universal health coverage and health financing. http://www.who.int/health_financing/universal_coverage_definition/en/. Accessed 7 April 2018.
- Xi, Jinping. 2017. Speech on the first plenary session of the 19 th CPC central committee. xinhuanet.com, last modified 31 December 2017. http://www.xinhuanet.com/politics/2017-12/31/c_1122191624.htm. Accessed 10 Nov 2018.
- Zhang, Xu. 2015. An introduction to social medical insurance schemes. TCM Healthy Life-Nurturing 11: 11–15.Google Scholar