Development of a 750-mm-long stripline kicker for HEPS
- 212 Downloads
The superfast kickers are required for the HEPS storage ring on-axis injection system due to its very small dynamic aperture. A 750-mm-long stripline pair type of kicker prototype was researched and developed to demonstrate achieved performance of bandwidth, impedance, kicker strength, field uniformity and beam power loss.
The cross sections of the kicker main body and the end of taper part are optimized for a good impedance matching and field uniformity. 3D simulation further optimizes the taper part to minimize the beam power loss and maintain a lower reflection. The high-voltage feedthrough is also designed and optimized by 3D CST. RF and high-voltage measurements are taken to verify the design of kicker assembly.
The testing transmission odd-mode impedance is 50 ± 0.5 Ω, the even-mode impedance is 60 ± 0.5 Ω, and return loss is less than − 13 dB. The peak voltage and the rise time of pulse width inserting kicker assembly just decrease 3% of 20 kV and slow down 80 ps, respectively.
RF testing results agree well with the simulation ones, which meet the design specification. The kicker assembly works well at ± 20 kV pulse.
KeywordsStripline kicker Feedthrough On-axis swap-out injection Odd-mode (even-mode) impedance Storage ring
Funding was provided by National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant Nos. 11475200 and 11675194).
- 1.G. Xu, X.H. Cui, Z. Duan et al., Progress of lattice design and physics studies on the high energy photon source, in Proceedings of IPAC2018, Vancouver, BC, CanadaGoogle Scholar
- 2.J.Y. Li, H.Y. Dong, Z. Duan et al., Conceptual design of HEPS injector, in Proceedings of IPAC2018, Vancouver, BC, CanadaGoogle Scholar
- 3.Z. Duan, J.H. Chen, Y.Y. Guo et al., The swap-out injection scheme for the high energy photon source, in Proceedings of IPAC2018, Vancouver, BC, CanadaGoogle Scholar
- 4.J.H. Chen, H. Shi, L. Wang et al., Fast kicker and pulser R&D for the HEPS on-axis injection system, in Proceedings of IPAC2018, Vancouver, BC, CanadaGoogle Scholar
- 5.C. Yao, L. Morrison, X. Sun et al., Preliminary test results of a prototype fast kicker for APS MBA upgrade, in Proceedings of NAPAC2016, Chicago, IL, USA, pp. 950–952Google Scholar
- 6.J.H. Chen, L. Wang, H. Shi et al., Strip-line kickers and fast pulsers R&D at HEPS, in Proceedings of TWIIS2017, HZB/BESSY II, BerlinGoogle Scholar
- 7.D.A. Goldberg, G.R. Lambertson, Dynamic devices a primer on pickups and kickers. LBL-31664, 1992Google Scholar
- 11.C. Yao, L. Morrison, X. Sun et al., Development of fast kickers for the APS MBA upgrade, in Proceedings of IPAC2015, Richmond, VA, USA, pp. 3286–3288Google Scholar
- 12.S. De Santis, W. Barry, S. Kwiatkowski et al., Injection/extraction kicker for the ALS-U project, in Proceedings of IPAC2014, Dresden, Germany, pp. 1977–1979Google Scholar
- 13.H. Shi, J.H. Chen, L. Wang et al., The design and test of a stripline kicker for HEPS, in Proceedings of FLS2018, Shanghai, ChinaGoogle Scholar
- 14.N. Wang, H. Shi, S.K. Tian et al., Impedance and heat load analysis of the stripline kicker in HEPS, in Proceedings of IPAC2018, Vancouver, BC, CanadaGoogle Scholar
- 15.A. Krasnykh, Analysis of approaches for a design of APS-U fast injection system. SLAC-WP-096, 2013Google Scholar
- 17.M.Y. Wu, X.H. Mao, Microwave technology 06, 109–120 (1985). (in Chinese) Google Scholar
- 18.X. Sun, C. Yao, Simulation studies of a prototype stripline kicker for the APS-MBA upgrade, in Proceedings of NAPAC2016, Chicago, IL, USA, pp. 928–930Google Scholar
- 19.Computer Simulation Technology (CST). https://www.cst.com
- 20.H. Shi, J.H. Chen, L. Wang et al., Development of injection kicker for storage ring of HEPS, in Proceeding of the Ninth Proseminar of Chinese Microwave and Radio Frequency Technology for Accelerator, Jilin, China, 2018. (in Chinese) Google Scholar