Using the World Ethos Body of Thought as a Compass for Managers some Thoughts on the Practical Application of a Philosophical Concept
Today’s social, economic, ecological and political state-of-affairs, the lack of confidence in business and political leaders and the associated rise of populist parties pose new and structurally different challenges to mankind. They are likely to be deepened in the course of the implementation of the Agenda 2030 for Sustainable Development. While all societal actors are called upon to reflect on their contribution to necessary reforms, business has a particularly important role to play. Competing with integrity today means much more than compliance with law and regulation. The article discusses the necessity of top manager’s reflection on values and coherent practical action and uses the World Ethos body of thought as a compass. It also draws attention to the complexity of such a values management and stresses the importance of ethical leadership.
KeywordsWorld Ethos Sustainable Development
- 6 Q: 190 Brilliant Examples of Corporate Values https://inside.6q.io/over-100-examples-of-company-values/ (last accessed April 23, 2018).
- Carrington D. (2018): Gulf Stream current at its weakest in 1,600 years, studies show. In: The Guardian, 11 April 2018, https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/apr/11/critical-gulf-stream-current-weakest-for-1600-years-research-finds
- Carroll A.B. (1996): Business and Society: Ethics and Stakeholder Management. South-Western College Publishing; 8th edition with Ann Buchholtz, New York 2015, Cengage Learning;Google Scholar
- Council of International Organizations of Medical Services (CIOMS) / World Health Organization (WHO). 2002. International ethical guidelines for biomedical research involving human subjects. Geneva http://ethics.iit.edu/ecodes/node/4618.
- Dahrendorf R. (1959 / 2010): Homo Sociologicus, Springer Wiesbaden;Google Scholar
- European Commission: Directive 2001/20/EC relating to the implementation of good clinical practice in the conduct of Clinical Trials on medicinal products for human use. http://ec.europa.eu/health/files/eudralex/vol-1/dir_2001_20/dir_2001_20_en.pdf
- Fink L. (2018): Annual Letter to CEOs: A Sense of Purpose. https://www.blackrock.com/corporate/investor-relations/larry-fink-ceo-letter (accessed March 6, 2018);
- Fletcher, J. 1966. Situation ethics. In The new morality (Westminster John Knox Press) Louisville.Google Scholar
- Pope Francis (2015): Encyclical Letter Laudato Si’, http://w2.vatican.va/content/francesco/en/encyclicals/documents/papa-francesco_20150524_enciclica-laudato-si.html (accessed March 6, 2018);
- Fromm E. (1947 / 1990): Man for himself: An inquiry into the psychology of ethics (Holt) New York.Google Scholar
- Fromm E. (1956/1975): The art of loving, Unwin paperbacks, London.Google Scholar
- Global Ethic Foundation (2018): A Global Ethic Now! http://www.global-ethic-now.de/gen-eng/0a_was-ist-weltethos/0a-04-capitel-4/0a-04-00-die-stiftung.php (accessed April 23, 2018);
- Küng H. / Leisinger K.M. / Wieland J. (2010): Manifesto global economic ethic. Consequences and challenges for global business (dtv). Munich.Google Scholar
- Leisinger K.M. (2016): Corporate Leadership in Times of Public Distrust. In: Arruda de Coutinho M.C. / Rok B. (Eds.): Understanding Ethics an Responsibilities in a Globalizing World. (ISBEE / Springer) New York / Cham;Google Scholar
- Leisinger K.M. (2018): The Kunst der verantwortungsvollen Führung. (Haupt), Bern (forthcoming in an English version as The Art of Leading).Google Scholar
- Luhmann N. (2013): Introduction to Systems Theory. Polity Press, Malden MA;Google Scholar
- Moon T. (2017): Saying goodbye to glaciers. In: Science, Vol.356, Issue 6338 (12 May 2017), pp. 580–581;Google Scholar
- Nace T (2018): Half of the Great Barrier Reef has died since 2016. In: Forbes, 19 April 2018 https://www.forbes.com/sites/trevornace/2018/04/19/half-of-the-great-barrier-reef-coral-has-died-since-2016/#398600a95f9f
- Oxfam (2018): Reward Work not Wealth. https://www.oxfam.org/sites/www.oxfam.org/files/file_attachments/bp-reward-work-not-wealth-220118-summ-en.pdf (accessed pril 23, 2018).
- Parsons T. (2012): The Social System. Quid Pro, New Orleans;Google Scholar
- Rittel H.W.J. / Webber M.M.: Dilemmas in a general theory of planning. In: Policy Sciences Vol. 4 (1973), pp. 155–169;Google Scholar
- SOMO / WEMOS: #1: Examples of unethical Trials SOMO briefing paper on ethics in clinical trials. Amsterdam 2008;Google Scholar
- South African San Institute (2017): San Code of Research Ethics. http://trust-project.eu/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/San-Code-of-RESEARCH-Ethics-Booklet-final.pdf
- TRUST project (2018): Global Code of Conduct http://www.globalcodeofconduct.org/affiliated-codes/
- United Nations (2015): Transforming our world: the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development http://www.un.org/ga/search/view_doc.asp?symbol=A/RES/70/1&Lang=E (accessed April 23 2018);
- Werhane P. (1999): Moral Imagination and Management Decision Making. (Oxford University Press) New York / Oxford;Google Scholar
- Wieland J. (2004): Handbuch Wertemanagement (Murmann), Hamburg;Google Scholar
- World Medical Association (2013): Declaration of Helsinki – Ethical Principles for Medical Research involving Human Subjects. https://www.wma.net/policies-post/wma-declaration-of-helsinki-ethical-principles-for-medical-research-involving-human-subjects/