Analysis of beryllium poisoning effect on liquid metal reactor with U–Be alloy fuel
- 12 Downloads
A liquid metal reactor (LMR) loaded with a fuel compound of uranium and beryllium (U–Be alloy fuel), which was cooled by a lead–bismuth eutectic alloy (PbBi), has been applied in Russian Alfa-class nuclear submarines. Because of the large amount of beryllium in the core, the reaction between the beryllium atoms and neutrons could result in the accumulation of 3He and 6Li, which are called the “poisoned elements” owing to their large thermal neutron capture cross section. The accumulation of neutron absorber can affect the performance of a reactor. In this study, the Super Multi-functional Calculation Program (SuperMC) code, which was developed by Institute of Nuclear Energy Safety Technology of the Chinese Academy of Sciences (INEST, CAS), was adopted to illustrate the influence of beryllium on an LMR.
KeywordsLMR U–Be alloy fuel Beryllium poisoning Super Multi-functional Calculation Program
The authors would like to show their great appreciation to other members of the FDS Team in this research.
- 1.Y.C. Wu, Y.Q. Bai, Y. Song et al., Conceptual design study on the China lead-based research reactor. Chin. J. Nucl. Sci. Eng. 2, 201–208 (2014). https://doi.org/10.3969/j.issn.0258-0918.2014.02.009 (in Chinese) CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.O Reistad, P.L. Ølgaard, Russian nuclear power plants for marine applications (2006). https://www.nks.org/scripts/getdocument.php?file=111010111120029
- 11.S. Kalcheva, B. Ponsard, E. Koonen. Reactivity Effects due to Beryllium Poisoning of BR2 (PHYSOR 2004), Chicago, 25–29 April (2004)Google Scholar
- 12.K. Andrzejewski, T. Kulikowska, M.Bretscher, et al., Beryllium poisoning in the MARIA reactor. Beryllium (2001). https://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc720346/m2/1/high_res_d/789716.pdf
- 13.N. Lynn, S. Timms, J. Warden, et al., Radionuclide release from submarine reactors dumped in the Kara Sea//Environmental impact of radioactive releases, in Proceedings of An International Symposium (1995). https://www-pub.iaea.org/MTCD/Publications/PDF/te_0938_scr.pdf
- 14.K.J. Andrzejewski, T.A. Kulikowska, Z.E. Marcinkowska, Computations of fuel management in MARIA reactor with highly poisoned beryllium matrix. Nukleonika 53, 173–179 (2008). https://www.nukleonika.pl/www/back/full/vol53_2008/v53n4p173f.pdf
- 15.B.R. Hunt, J.M. Rosenberg, R.L. Lipsman, A guide to MATLAB: for beginners and experienced users. United Kingdom (2014). https://doi.org/10.1017/cbo9780511791284