Phylogenetic and morphological identification of Colletotrichum godetiae, a novel pathogen causing anthracnose on loquat fruits (Eriobotrya japonica)
- 58 Downloads
Loquat (Eriobotrya japonica) has potential to be produced in the central part of Mexico. During summer 2017, anthracnose symptoms were observed in Tetela, Morelos state, Mexico. A Colletotrichum species was constantly isolated from symptomatic fruit lesions. The internal transcribed spacer region and four housekeeping partial genes were sequenced, and our phylogenetic reconstruction revealed that the strains clustered with the Colletotrichum godetiae clade. Typical symptoms were reproducible in the pathogenicity test. Re-isolations were successfully performed and showed the same morphological and molecular characteristics. This is the first report of C. godetiae causing anthracnose on loquat fruits in Mexico and worldwide.
KeywordsColletotrichum acutatum complex Medlar Phylogenetic reconstruction Rosaceae
Authors wish to express their grateful to Seed Pathology Laboratory from Postgraduate College at Montecillo Campus for allowing us the use of the sequencing facility unit.
This research was partially supported by Seed Pathology Laboratory from Postgraduate College at Montecillo Campus through project CM 2018.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
All authors declare that they have no conflict of interest in any part of the research.
This article does not contain any studies that include human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
- Agosteo GE, Sanzani SM, Macrì C, Cacciola SO, Li Destri Nicosia MG, Schena L (2015) Olive leachates affect germination of Colletotrichum godetiae conidia and the development of appressoria. Phytopathol Mediterr 54:35–44Google Scholar
- Doyle JJ, Doyle JL (1990) Isolation of plant DNA from fresh tissue. Focus 12:13–15Google Scholar
- Hall TA (1999) BioEdit: a user friendly biological sequence alignment editor and analysis program for windows 95/98/NT. Nucleic Acids Symp Ser 41:95–98Google Scholar
- Lin S, Huang X, Cuevas J, Janick J (2007) Loquat: an ancient fruit crop with a promising future. Chron Hortic 47:12–15Google Scholar
- Maddison WP, Maddison DR (2018) Mesquite: a modular system for evolutionary analysis version 3.51 [Internet]. http://mesquiteproject.org
- Shivas RG, Tan YP, Edwards J, Dinh Q, Maxwell A, Andjic V, Liberato JR, Anderson C, Beasley DR, Bransgrove K, Coates LM, Cowan K, Daniel R, Dean JR, Lomavatu MF, Mercado-Escueta D, Mitchell RW, Thangavel R, Tran-Nguyen LTT, Weir BS (2016) Colletotrichum species in Australia. Australas Plant Pathol 45:447–464CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- White TJ, Bruns T, Lee SB, Taylor JW, Innis MA, Gelfand DH, Sninsky JJ (1990) Amplification and direct sequencing of fungal ribosomal RNA genes for phylogenetics. In: Innis MA, Gelfand DH, Sninsky JJ, White TJ (eds) PCR protocols: a guide to methods and applications. Academic Press, New York, pp 315–322Google Scholar
- Yang YL, Liu ZY, Cai L, Hyde KD, Yu ZN, McKenzie EHC (2009) Colletotrichum anthracnose of Amaryllidaceae. Fungal Divers 39:123–146Google Scholar