First Report of the Root Lesion Nematode, Pratylenchus hippeastri, on Apple in South Africa
- 39 Downloads
Root lesion nematodes (Pratylenchus spp.) are the most common plant-parasitic nematodes present in apple orchards in South Africa. During a survey conducted in 2017 and 2018 in the main apple production regions in South Africa, P. hippeastri was detected in 85% of samples that contained root lesion nematodes. Morphological and morphometric characters as well as DNA sequencing of the D2–D3 expansion segments of 28S rRNA confirmed the identity of the nematodes extracted from apple roots. Apple rootstocks supported reproduction of these nematodes with an average reproduction factor of 14, measured 90 days after inoculation. This study confirms the host status of apple (Malus domestica Borkh.) for P. hippeastri and is the first record of P. hippeastri in South Africa.
KeywordsPratylenchus Apple Survey Morphology Molecular
The Agricultural Research Council (Project: P04000116) and Hortgro Pome (Project: NEM003) are acknowledged for funding this research.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Corbett DCM, Clark SA (1983) Surface features in the taxonomy of Pratylenchus spp. Revue de Nématologie 6:85–98Google Scholar
- Coyne DL, Adewuyi O, Mbiru E (2014) Protocol for in vitro culturing of lesion nematodes: Radopholus similis and Pratylenchus spp. on carrot discs. International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA), Ibadan, NigeriaGoogle Scholar
- De Luca F, Troccoli A, Duncan LW, Subbotin SA, Waeyenberge L, Moens M, Inserra RN (2010) Characterisation of a population of Pratylenchus hippeastri from bromeliads and description of two related new species, P. floridensis n. sp. and P. parafloridensis n. sp., from grasses in Florida. Nematology 12:847–868CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Hortgro (2017) Key deciduous fruit statistics 2017. Hortgro, PaarlGoogle Scholar
- Wang HH, Zhuo K, Liao JL (2016) Morphological and molecular characterization of Pratylenchus hippeastri, a new record of root-lesion nematode associated with apple in China. Pakistan J. Zool 48(3):665–671Google Scholar