Geospatial analysis for the assessment of mine land reclamation area: a case study of Noamundi Block, Jharkhand
- 44 Downloads
Reclamation consists of modifying the disturbed land and returning it to a more natural state of hills, grasslands, forests and lakes for the benefit of future generations. This study analyzed the change of land use and land cover in the Noamundi block (West Singhbhum district, Jharkhand), India. This paper demonstrates the impact of mining on the natural environment in this area by using three images of the Landsat missions from 2003, 2011 and 2017 which were processed by the supervised image classification (8 classes). By comparing the classified images this paper retrieve the absolute and relative change of land use and land cover in the study area. An accuracy assessment is performed to describe the quality of the classification. The maximum increase of agricultural areas is detected with a decrease in forest areas.
Keywords- Reclamation LU/LC Noamundi Mining Landsat
The authors are thankful to Deputy Director of District Mines Chaibasa, DFO Saranda, TATA Steel Noamundi, SAIL-Meghahatuburu, SAIL-Gua and Range officer of Gua forest for support and assistance in the field data collection and also thanks to the editor and unknown reviewers for their helpful comments and suggestions.
- 2.Das, N. (2015). Socio-economic impact of mining on rural communities: A study of the IB valley coalfield in Odisha, Doctoral dissertation.Google Scholar
- 3.Townsend, P. A., Helmers, D. P., Kingdon, C. C., McNeil, B. E., de Beurs, K. M., & Eshleman, K. N. (2009). Changes in the extent of surface mining and reclamation in the Central Appalachians detected using a 1976–2006 Landsat time series. Remote Sensing of Environment,113(1), 62–72.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Kumar, G. S., & Reddy, A. N. (2016). Application of remote sensing to assess environmental impact of limestone mining in the Ariyalur district of Tamilnadu, India. Journal of Geomatics, 10(2), 158–163.Google Scholar
- 8.Ganas, A., Aerts, J. C. J. H., Astaras, T., Vente, J. D., Frogoudakis, E., Lambrinos, N., et al. (2004). The use of Earth observation and decision support systems in the restoration of open-cast nickel mines in Evia, central Greece. International Journal of Remote Sensing,25(16), 3261–3274.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Koruyan, K., Deliormanli, A. H., Karaca, Z., Momayez, M., Lu, H., & Yalçin, E. (2012). Remote sensing in management of mining land and proximate habitat. Journal of the Southern African Institute of Mining and Metallurgy,112(7), 667–672.Google Scholar
- 12.Hand book "Geological and Lease Hold Map of Iron Ore Area of West Singhbhum District, Jharkhand; published by Department of Mines & Geology".Google Scholar
- 13.Lillesand, T., Kiefer, R. W., & Chipman, J. (2014). Remote sensing and image interpretation. New York: Wiley.Google Scholar
- 16.Technical report on “Noamundi Iron Mine, M/S Tata Steel Ltd, (IBM)”. https://www.ibm.nic.in/writereaddata/files/08202014164430Nuvamundi%20Iron%20Ore%20Mnes-.pdf