Further Records of Deep-Sea Barnacle Arcoscalpellum michelottianum (Seguenza, 1876) (Crustacea: Scalpellidae) from Southwestern Atlantic
- 58 Downloads
The deep-sea barnacle Arcoscalpellum michelottianum (Seguenza 1876) was previously recorded from the Atlantic, Indian and Pacific oceans, but only once in Brazilian waters, from Campos Basin. Here, we report the second occurrence of this species in Brazilian deep waters. Two specimens of A. michelottianum (a male and a female) were collected in 1062 m depth. The species showed low densities in sampling performed in Potiguar Basin, being found at one out of 30 sampling stations in the area.
KeywordsGeographic distribution Continental slope Bpot Potiguar Basin
The first author would like to thank CAPES (Coordenação de Aperfeiçoamento de Pessoal de Nível Superior) for the postgraduate scholarship on Oceanography. The authors are also grateful to Petróleo Brasileiro S.A. (Petrobras) for making the material used in this study available. The authors would, specially, like to thank Dr. Benny K.K. Chan for help in identification of species. The authors would like to thank the anonymous reviewers for their precious comments on this paper.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
The author(s) declared no potential conflicts of interest with respect to the research, authorship, and/or publication of this article.
- Chan BKK, Prabowo RE, Lee K-S (2009) Crustacean Fauna of Taiwan: barnacles volume I - Cirripedia: Thoracica excluding the Pyrgomatidae and Acastinae, 1st edn. National Taiwan Ocean University, Taiwan p 297Google Scholar
- Morato T, Pauly D (2004) Seamounts: biodiversity and fisheries. Fisheries Centre Research Reports, vol 12, n 5. University of British Columbia, Fisheries Centre, CanadaGoogle Scholar
- Pilsbry HA (1907) The barnacles (Cirripedia) contained in the collections of the U.S. National Museum. Bull US Nat Mus (60):1–122Google Scholar
- Seguenza G (1876) Ricerche paleontologiche intorno ai Cirripedi tertiarii della provincia di Messina. Con appendice intorno ai Cirripedi viventi nel Mediterraneo, e sui fossili terziarii dell’Italia meridionale, Parte II. Lepadidi. Atti Accad Pontan 10:369–481Google Scholar
- Serejo CS, Cardoso IA (2010) Crustacea. In: Lavrado HP, Brasil ACS (eds) Biodiversidade da região oceânica profunda da Bacia de Campos: Megafauna e Ictiofauna demersal. SAG. Serv, Rio de Janeiro, pp 137–231Google Scholar
- Young PS (1998) The Cirripedia (Crustacea) collected by the "Fisheries Steamer Meteor" in The eastern Atlantic. Arq Mus Nac Rio J 58:1–54Google Scholar
- Young PS (2001) Deep-sea Cirripedia Thoracica (Crustacea) from the northeastern Atlantic collected by French expeditions. Zoosystema 23(4):705–756Google Scholar
- Zevina GB (1981) Cirripedians of the suborder Lepadomorpha of the world ocean. I. Family Scalpelidae. Leningrad. Nauka, p 406Google Scholar