First Records of Anal Fin Deformity in Fishes Collected from Jubail City, Saudi Arabia, Arabian Gulf
- 63 Downloads
There is not much of information available in the literature about the deformity in the anal fin of fishes. Ten specimens representing six species belonging to three families were demonstrated to have variable severity of anal fin deformities. The deformities described in this study were observed for the first time in fishes from the Saudi Arabia and the Arabian Gulf area in general. Possible causative agents, such as pollution, are discussed.
KeywordsAbnormalities Deformities Teleosts fishes Carangidae Sparidae
We would like to thank the Ministry of Agriculture, Fish Welfare Branch, Jubail Province, Saudi Arabia for giving us the opportunity to examine and study the deformed fish specimens. Our thanks are also due to Sergey Bogorodsky of Station of Naturalists, Omsk, Russia and Ronald Fricke of Staatliches Museum für Naturkunde, Rosenstein, Germany, William Smith-Vaniz, Florida Museum of Natural History, for identification of the species.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
The authors Laith A. Jawad and Mustafa Ibrahim declare that they have no conflict of interest between them.
This article does not contain studies with dead fish and in this case ethical approval is not applicable.
- Al-Mamry JM, Jawad LA, Al-Rasady IH, Al-Habsi SH (2010) First record of dorsal and anal fin deformities in silver pomfrets, Pampus argenteus (Stromateidae, Actinopterygii). An Biole 32:73–77Google Scholar
- Boglione C, Gavaia P, Koumoundouros G, Gisbert E, Moren M, Fontagne S (2013) A review on skeletal anomalies in reared European fish larvae and juveniles. 1: Normal and anomalous skeletogenic processes. Rev Aquac 5:99–120Google Scholar
- Boudreau M, Courtenay SC, MacLatchy DL, Bérubé CH, Parrott JL, Van der Kraak GJ (2004) Utility of morphological abnormalities during early-life development of the estuarine mummichog, Fundulus heteroclitus, as an indicator of estrogenic and antiestrogenic endocrine disruption. Environ Toxicol Chem 23:415–425CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Cataudella S, Loy A, Scardi M, Boglione C (1996) Anatomical descriptions and geometric morphometrics to evaluate larval and postlarval quality in Mediterranean Sea bass and sea bream from different hatcheries. International Symposium on Live Food Organisms and Environmental Control or Larviculture of Marine Animals, September 1–4: 1996, Nagasaki, JapanGoogle Scholar
- Dawson C (1964) A bibliography of anomalies of fishes. Gulf Res Rep 1:308–399Google Scholar
- Dawson C (1971) A bibliography of anomalies of fishes. Gulf Res Rep 3:215–239Google Scholar
- Divanach P, Boglione C, Menu B, Koumoudouros G, Kentouri M., Cataudella S (1996) Abnormalities in finfish mariculture: an overview of the problem, causes and solutions. In: Chantain, B., M. Saroglia, J. SweetmanGoogle Scholar
- Hickford MJH, Schiel DR (1996) Gillnetting in southern New Zealand: duration effects of sets and entanglement modes of fish. Fish Bull 94:669–677Google Scholar
- Jawad LA, Al-Mamry JM (2011) Scale deformities in rohu Labeo rohita (Osteichthyes: Cyprinidae). Annal Ser Hist Nat 21:167–174Google Scholar
- Jawad LA, Al-Mamry JM (2012) Saddleback syndrome in wild silver pomfret, Pampus argenteus (Euphrasen, 1788) (Family: Stromatidae) from the Arabian Gulf coasts of Oman. Croatian J Fish 3:51–58Google Scholar
- Jawad L, Sadighzadeh Z, Salarpouri A, Aghouzbeni S (2013) Anal fin deformity in the longfin trevally, Carangoides armatus (Rüppell, 1830) collected from Nayband, Persian gulf. Korean. J Ichthyol 25:169–172Google Scholar
- Koumoundouros G, Gaglardi F, Divanach P, Stefanakis S, Kentouri M (1995) Osteological study of the origin and development of the abnormal caudal fin in gilthead sea bream (Sparus auratus) fry quality aquaculture European aquaculture society, Special Publication No 23: 16–18Google Scholar
- Pillai SV (1967) A note on the morphological irregularities in the Indian oil-sardine, Sardinella longiceps. J Mar Biol Assoc India 9:195–196Google Scholar
- Reynolds RM (1993) Physical oceanography of the Gulf, Strait f hormuz, and the Gulf of Oman-results from the Mt Mitchell expedition. Mar Pollut Bull 27:35–59Google Scholar
- Samal AK, Nazar AA, Jayakumar R, Tamilmani G, Sakthivel M, Rajendran P, Gopakumar G (2014) Musculoskeletal abnormalities in hatchery reared silver pompano, Trachinotus blochii (Lacépède, 1801). Indian J Fish 61:122–124Google Scholar
- Schwartz FJ (1992) Anal finlet abnormalities in a little tunny, Euthynnus alletteratus, from North Carolina. Bull Mar Sci 50:520–521Google Scholar