Policy Recommendations to Improve the Quality of Life for LGBT Older Adults
This article explores the increased vulnerability of older lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) adults and their needs. Older LGBT adults lack legal protection, which leads to higher rates of discrimination in the work environment, living arrangements, and services. The impact of discrimination against older LGBT adults results in an elevated rate of physical and psychological consequences when compared to the general older population. A brief overview of legal precedence pertaining to the LGBT community is provided, and the needs of older LGBT adults are identified. Social work practice and policy recommendations are highlighted to address identified needs and improve the quality of life for older LGBT adults. A human rights framework is applied to inform all practice and policy recommendations to ensure basic human rights are met, as outlined in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. The role of the social worker in addressing the needs of older LGBT adults is discussed, as well.
KeywordsOlder LGBT Human rights Discrimination Policy
- Androff, D. (2016). Practicing rights. New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Auldridge, A., & Espinoza, R. (2013). Health equity and LGBT Elders of color: recommendations for policy and practice. SAGE (Services and Advocacy for GLBT Elders). https://static1.squarespace.com/static/566c7f0c2399a3bdabb57553/t/566caf95841abafcc8e8018d/1449963413451/2013-SAGE-Health-Equity-and-LGBTElders-Recommendations-for-Policy-and-Practice.pdf. Accessed 1 May 2019.
- Badgett, M. V. L., Durso, L., & Schneebaum, A., (2013). “New Patterns of Poverty in the Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual Community.” Williams Institute. Retrieved from: http://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.edu/wp-content/uploads/LGB-Poverty-Update-Jun-2013.pdf. Accessed 1 May 2019.
- Choi, S. K., & Meyer, I. H. (2016). LGBT aging: A review of research findings, needs, and policy implications. Los Angeles: The Williams Institute.Google Scholar
- Committee on Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Health Issues and Research Gaps and Opportunities; Board on the Health of Select Populations; Institute of Medicine. (2011). The health of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people: Building a foundation for better understanding. Washington, DC: The National Academic Press.Google Scholar
- Department of Health and Human Services (2015). Retrieved from https://www.medicaid.gov/federal-policy-guidance/downloads/sho-15-005.pdf. Accessed 1 May 2019.
- Emlet, C. A. (2016). Social, economic, and health disparities among LGBT older adults. Journal of American Society on Aging., 40, 16–22.Google Scholar
- Fredriksen-Goldsen, K. I. (2015). Promoting health equity among LGBT mid-life and older adults. Journal of the American Society on Aging, 38, 86–92.Google Scholar
- Fredriksen-Goldsen, K. I. (2016). The future of LGBT + aging: A blueprint for action in services, policies, and research. Journal of the American Society on Aging. Generations, 40(2), 6–15.Google Scholar
- Fredriksen-Goldsen, K., & Espinoza, R. (2015). Time for transformation: Public policy must change to achieve health equity for LGBT older adults. Journal of the American Society on Aging, 38, 4; 96–4;104.Google Scholar
- Fredriksen-Goldsen, K. I., Emlet, C. A., Kim, H. J., Muraco, A., Erosheva, E. A., Goldsen, J., & Hoy-Ellis, C. P. (2012). The physical and mental health of lesbian, gay male, and bisexual (LGB) older adults: The role of key health indicators and risk and protective factors. The Gerontologist, 53(4), 664–675.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Fredriksen-Goldsen, K. I., Kim, H.-J., Hoy-Ellis, C. P., Goldsen, J., Jensen, D., Adelman, M., Costa, L. M., & De Vries, B. (2013). Addressing the needs of LGBT older adults in San Francisco: Recommendations for the future. Seattle: Institute for Multigenerational Health, University of Washington.Google Scholar
- Fredriksen-Goldsen, K. I., Kim, H.-Y., Shiu, C., Goldsen, J., & Emlet, C. A. (2014a). Successful aging among LGBT older adults: Physical and mental health-related quality of life by age group. The Gerontologist, 1–15.Google Scholar
- Fredriksen-Goldsen, K. I., Lehavot, K., Walters, K. L., Yanj, J., Hoy-Ellis, C. P., & Muraco, A. (2014b). The health equity promotion model: Reconceptualization of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) health disparities. American Journal of Research of Orthopsychiatry, 84(6), 653–663.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Gonzales, G., Przedworski, J., & Henning-Smith, C. (2016). Comparison of health and health risk factors between lesbian, gay, and bisexual adults and heterosexual adults in the United States: Results from the National Health Interview Survey. JAMA Internal Medicine, 176(9), 1344–1351. https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2016.3432.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Healthy People (2020). Retrieved from https://www.healthypeople.gov/node/5840. Accessed 1 May 2019.
- Herman, J. (2016). LGB within the T: Sexual orientation in the National Transgender Discrimination Survey and implications for public policy. In Y. M.-S. Miguel & S. Tobias (Eds.), Trans studies: The challenge to hetero/homo normativities. Rutgers: Rutgers University Press.Google Scholar
- History of the Document (2018). Retrieved from http://www.un.org/en/sections/universal-declaration/history-document/index.html. Accessed 1 May 2019.
- Justice in Aging (2015). LGBT older adults in long-term care facilities: Stories from the field. Justice in aging: Fighting senior poverty through law. Retrieved from https://www.justiceinaging.org/lgbt-older-adults-in-long-term-care-facilities-stories-from-the-field-2/. Accessed 1 May 2019.
- Kim, H.-Y., Fredriksen-Goldsen, K. I., Bryan, A. E. B., & Muraco, A. (2017). Social network types and mental health among LGBT older adults. The Gerontologist, 57, 1; 84–1; 94.Google Scholar
- LGBT Elder Initiative (2017). Policy positions. The LGBT Elder Initiative. Retrieved from https://lgbtelderinitiative.org/2019/02/07/actively-advocating-for-your-care/. Accessed 1 May 2019.
- National Association of Social Workers (2017). Code of ethics of the National Association of Social Workers. Washington, DC: NASW Press.Google Scholar
- National Association of Social Workers. (2018). Code of ethics of the National Association of Social Workers. Washington, DC: NASW Press.Google Scholar
- Obergefell v. Hodges, 576 U.S. (2015). Retrieved from https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/14pdf/14-556_3204.pdf. Accessed 1 Apr 2019.
- Parsons, A. (2018). As the Universal Declaration of Human Rights turns 70, it’s time to resurrect its vision of global sharing and justice. Retrieved from https://www.sharing.org/information-centre/articles/universal-declaration-human-rights-turns-70-its-time-resurrectits. Accessed 1 Apr 2019.
- Paula, C. E. A., da Silva, A. P., & Bittar, C. M. L. (2017). Legislative vulnerability of minority groups. Ciencia & Saude Coletiva, 22(12), 3841–3848. https://doi.org/10.1590/1413-812320172212.24842017.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Russell, G.M. & Bohan, J.S. (2005). The gay generation gap: Communicating across the LGBT generation divide. Angles Policy Journal of The Institute for Gay and Lesbian Strategic Studies (IGLSS), 8(1). http://drglendarussell.com/wpcontent/uploads/2013/05/Angles_GayGenerations.pdf. Accessed 1 May 2019.
- Services and Advocacy for Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual & Transgender Elders (SAGE) (2015). Sage: Annual report 2015. Sage.Google Scholar
- Sokan, A. E., & Teaster, P. B. (2016). An overview of aging and mistreatment of LGBT elders. In D. A. Harley & P. B. Teaster (Eds.), Handbook of LGBT elders: An interdisciplinary approach to principles, practices, and policies. Dordrecht: Springer. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-03623-6.Google Scholar
- S.3314 - Census Equality Act 115th Congress (2017–2018). Retrieved from https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/senate-bill/3314/text. Accessed 1 Apr 2019.
- United Nations. (1948). Universal Declaration of Human Rights. https://www.ohchr.org/EN/UDHR/Documents/UDHR_Translations/eng.pdf. Accessed 1 May 2019.
- United States v. Windsor, 570 U.S. 744 (2013). Retrieved from https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/12pdf/12-307_6j37.pdf. Accessed 1 May 2019.
- Veldhuis, C. B., Drabble, L., Riggle, E. D. B., Wootton, A. R., & Hughes, T. L. (2017). “We won't go back into the closet now without one hell of a fight”: Effects of the 2016 presidential election on sexual minority women's and gender minorities' stigma-related concerns. Sexuality Research and Social Policy, 15(1), 12–24.Google Scholar
- Wang, H. (2019). Senate bill to require sexual orientation, gender identity data by 2030 census. Retrieved from https://www.npr.org/2018/07/31/634243854/senate-bill-to-require-sexual-orientation-gender-identity-data-by-2030-census. Accessed 1 Apr 2019.
- Ward, B. W., Dahlhamer, J. M., Galinsky, A. M., & Joestl, S. S. (2014). Sexual orientation and health among U.S. adults: National Health Interview Survey, 2013. National Health Statistics Report., 77, 1–12.Google Scholar
- White house conference on aging: Final report (2015). Retrieved from http://www.whitehouseconferenceonaging.gov/2015-WHCOA-Final-Report.pdf. Accessed 1 May 2019.
- Witten, T. M. (2016). The intersectional challenges of aging and of being a gender non-conforming adult. The Journal of the American Society on Aging, 40, 63–70.Google Scholar
- Woody, I. (2016). Mary’s house: An LGBT/SGL-friendly alternative environment for older adults. Journal of the American Society on Aging, 40, 108–109.Google Scholar