Social Work Education in Uncertain Times: Protecting the Human Rights of Migrants
In Greece, the coincidence of deep austerity occurring at the same time as the advent of large numbers of incoming asylum seekers and migrants has created an extremely pressing condition for social work practice. Social workers in state and municipal social services and in nongovernmental organizations are setting up frontline intensive interventions for arriving migrants and those staying in camps or resettlement programs, while they implement projects to tackle the humanitarian crisis for the most vulnerable and “new poor” indigenous population. They are dealing with emergent human needs of people, whose rights have been and/or are been violated. This article explores human rights as a unifying framework for actions and short- and long-term interventions and lobbying in regard to current austerity and migration contexts and discusses initiatives taken by social work educators to incorporate relevant content into curricula at the bachelor and master’s levels.
KeywordsGreece Human rights Social work education Migration Children Unaccompanied children
- Adams, M., & Bell, L. A. (Eds.). (2016). Teaching for diversity and social justice. New York, NY: Rutledge.Google Scholar
- Asquith, S., Clark, C., Waterhouse, L., & Education Dept., Scotland (2005). The role of the social worker in the 21st century: a literature review. Retrieved from: http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/Doc/47121/0020821.pdf.
- Banks, S. (2006). Ethics and values in social work (3rd ed.). Basingstoke, UK: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Berthold, S. M. (2015). Human rights-based approaches to clinical social work. Cham, Switzerland: Springer.Google Scholar
- Buchanan, A., & Kallinikaki, T. (2018). Meeting the needs of unaccompanied children in Greece. International Social Work. https://doi.org/10.1177/0020872818798007.
- Clifford, B. & Burke, B. (2008). Anti-oppressive ethics and values in social work. Basingstoke, UK: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Dimitropoulou, G. & Papageorgiou, I. (2008) Unaccompanied minors asylum seekers in Greece. Athens: NGCR www.refworld.org/cgibin/texis/rwmain/opendoc.pdf?
- Dominelli, L. (2006). Racialised identities: new challenges for social work education. In K. Lyons & S. Laurence (Eds), Social work in Europe: educating for change. Birmingham, UK: Venture Press.Google Scholar
- Douzinas, C. (2006). The end of human rights. Athens, Greece: Papazisi.Google Scholar
- Emke-Poulopoulou, I. (2007). The migration challenge. Athens, Greece: Papazisi.Google Scholar
- European Research Project (2017). Innovative communities: responding to local needs in Europe Views of practitioners and community workers. Retrieved from: www.communityresearch.eu.
- European Council, EU-Turkey Statement, Press release, 144/16, 18 March 2016. Retrieved from: http://www.europarl.europa.eu/legislative-train.
- Ferguson, I. (2009). Another social work is possible: reclaiming the radical tradition. In V. Leskosek (Ed.) Theories and methods of social work: exploring different perspectives (pp 81–98). Ljubljana, Slovenia: University of Ljubljana.Google Scholar
- Fook, J. (2003). Social work: critical theory and practice. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE.Google Scholar
- Frank, D. S. (2015). Taking it all in: how do psychodynamic social workers use social justice values in clinical practice? (Paper 672). Retrieved from: http://scholarworks.smith.edu/theses.
- Ife, J. (2012). Human rights and social work towards rights based practice. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- IFSW (2012) Global standards. Retrieved from: http://ifsw.org/policies/global-standards/.
- Ioakimidis, V., Cruz Santos, C., & Martinez Herrero, I. (2014). Reconceptualizing social work in times of crisis: an examination of the cases of Greece, Spain and Portugal. International Social Work, 57(4), 285–300. https://doi.org/10.1177/0020872814524967.
- IOM- International Organization for Migration (2015). Irregular migrant, refugee arrivals in Europe Top One Million in 2015. Retrieved from: https://www.iom.int/news/irregular-migrant-refugee- arrivals- europe-top-one-million-2015-iom.
- Kallinikaki, T. (2012). Aspects of social work in the era of economic and social crisis. Social Work, 107, 135–151.Google Scholar
- Kallinikaki, T. (2015). Child protection in times of crisis in Greece. International Journal of Social Pedagogy, 4(1), 177–189 Retrieved from: http://www.internationaljournalofsocialpedagogy.com.Google Scholar
- Kandylaki, A., & Kallinikaki, T. (2017). Critical, anti-oppressive and human rights social work in the “rough pathways” of the Muslim Roma neighborhoods in Thrace: towards inclusion to education. British Journal of Social Work., 48(6), 1559–1575. https://doi.org/10.1093/bjsw/bcx113.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kokaliari, E, (2016) Quality of life, anxiety, depression, and stress among adults in Greece following the global financial crisis, International Social Work, https://doi.org/10.1177/0020872816651701.
- Magkriotis, S. (2017). Spatial dynamics and social shifts at the gate of Europe. Narratives from Skala Sykamias. (Master’s thesis). Edinburgh, Scotland: University of Edinburgh.Google Scholar
- National Center for Social Solidarity. (14 June 2018). Situation update: unaccompanied children (UAC) in Greece. Athens: National Center for Social Solidarity.Google Scholar
- National Statistical Service of Greece (2003). Defacto population of Greece Census 2001. http://www.e-demography.gr/ElstatPublications/ Censuses/docs/eDemography_Metadata_Censuses_Doc_000002_gr.
- Ministry of Immigration Policy (2017) Developments of the refugee-immigration issue Retrieved from: http://mindigital.gr/index.php/component/content/article/45-eidiki-grammateia-epikoinoniakis-diaxeirisis-kriseon/prosfygiko-zitima-20/266.
- O’Reily, M. & Doga, N. (2017). Interviewing children and young people. London, UK: SAGE.Google Scholar
- Papadopoulos, R. (2017). Psychosocial framework to support refugees. Available at http://www.southeastsafenet.eu/sites/default/files/3.pdf.
- Papataxiarchis, Ε. Η. (2016). European refugee crisis and the new patriotism of solidarity. Synchrona Themata, 132–133, 7–28.Google Scholar
- Petmesidou, M. (2013). Crisis-and-austerity: a painful watershed for the Greek welfare state. Retrieved from: https://www.psa.ac.uk/insight-plus/blog/.
- Potocky-Tripodi, M. (2002). Best practices for social work with refugees and immigrants. New York, NY: Columbia University Press. Retrieved from: https://doi.org/10.7312/poto11582.16
- Poulopoulos, C. (2014). Crisis, fear and break down of social cohesion. Athens: Topos.Google Scholar
- Professors on Social Work in Refugee Accommodation Centers: Position Paper: Social Work with Refugees in Refugee Accommodations Centers Professional Standards and Socio-Political Basis, Berlin 2016, available at http://www.fluechtlingssozialarbeit.de
- Psimitis, M., Georgoulas, S., & Nagopoulos, N. (2017). Refugee crisis and public services in Lesvos (2015–2016). Athens, Greece: ADEDY Polycentro.Google Scholar
- Saleebey, D. (2005). The strengths perspective in social work practice, 6th ed. Harlow, UK: Pearson.Google Scholar
- Sinclair, I., Baker, C., Lee, J., & Gibbs, I. (2007). The pursuit of permanence: a study of the English care system. London: Jessica Kingsley Publishers.Google Scholar
- Staub-Bernasconi, S. (2011). Human rights and their relevance for social work as theory and practice. In L. M. Healy & R. J. Link, Handbook of international social work: human rights, development, and the global profession. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press. https://doi.org/10.1093/acprof:oso/9780195333619.003.0005.
- UNHCR (1989). Convention of the rights of the children http://www.ohchr.org/EN/ProfessionalInterest/Pages/CRC.aspx Accessed November 17, 2017.
- UNICEF (2017). The state of the children in Greece report 2017: the children of the crisis. Retrieved from https://www.unicef.gr/uploads/filemanager/PDF/2017/children-in-greece-2017-eng.pdf.
- Wade, J., Mitchell, E., & Baylis, G. (2005). Unaccompanied asylum-seeking children the responses of social work services. London: British Association of Adoption and Fostering (BAAF).Google Scholar
- World Health Organization (WHO) (2017). The impact of the financial crisis on the health system and health in Greece. Retrieved from: http://www.euro.who.int/_data/assets/pdf_file/0007/266380/.
- Zavirsek, D. (2017). The humanitarian crisis of migration versus the crisis of humanitarianism: current dimensions and challenges for social work practice. Social Work Education, (3, 3), 231–244.Google Scholar