Discernible image mosaic with edge-aware adaptive tiles
- 25 Downloads
We present a novel method to produce discernible image mosaics, with relatively large image tiles replaced by images drawn from a database, to resemble a target image. Compared to existing works on image mosaics, the novelty of our method is two-fold. Firstly, believing that the presence of visual edges in the final image mosaic strongly supports image perception, we develop an edge-aware photo retrieval scheme which emphasizes the preservation of visual edges in the target image. Secondly, unlike most previous works which apply a pre-determined partition to an input image, our image mosaics are composed of adaptive tiles, whose sizes are determined based on the available images in the database and the objective of maximizing resemblance to the target image. We show discernible image mosaics obtained by our method, using image collections of only moderate size. To evaluate our method, we conducted a user study to validate that the image mosaics generated present both globally and locally appropriate visual impressions to the human observers. Visual comparisons with existing techniques demonstrate the superiority of our method in terms of mosaic quality and perceptibility.
Keywordsimage mosaic image retrieval image synthesis
We thank the anonymous reviewers and the editors for their valuable comments. This work was supported in part by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Nos. 61602310, 61522213, and 61528208), Guangdong Science and Technology Program (No. 2015A030312015), Shenzhen Innovation Program (Nos. JCYJ20170302154106666, KQJSCX20170727101233642), and NSERC (No. 611370).
- Wikipedia-contributors. Photographic mosaic. Available at https://doi.org/en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photographic_mosaic.
- Silvers, R.; Hawley, M. Photomosaics. Henry Holt and Co., Inc., 1997.Google Scholar
- Kim, J.; Pellacini, F. Jigsaw image mosaics. ACM Transactions on Graphics Vol. 21, No. 3, 657–664, 2002.Google Scholar
- Di Blasi, G.; Gallo, G.; Petralia, M. P. Smart ideas for photomosaic rendering. In: Proceedings of the Eurographics Italian Chapter Conference, Vol. 2006, 267–272, 2006.Google Scholar
- Orchard, J.; Kaplan, C. S. Cut-out image mosaics. In: Proceedings of the 6th International Symposium on Non-Photorealistic Animation and Rendering, 79–87, 2008.Google Scholar
- Miller, J.; Mould, D. Accurate and discernible photocollages. In: Proceedings of the 8th Annual Symposium on Computational Aesthetics in Graphics, Visualization, and Imaging, 115–124, 2012.Google Scholar
- Zhang, L.; Ma, K.-L.; Yu, J. Adaptively tiled image mosaics utilizing measures of color and region entropy. In: Proceedings of the 9th International Symposium on Visual Information Communication and Interaction, 122–129, 2016.Google Scholar
- Battiato, S.; Di Blasi, G.; Farinella, G. M.; Gallo, G. Digital mosaic frameworks—An overview. Computer Graphics Forum Vol. 26, No. 4, 794–812, 2007.Google Scholar
- Dobashi, Y.; Haga, T.; Johan, H.; Nishita, T. A method for creating mosaic images using Voronoi diagrams. In: Proceedings of the Eurographics, Vol. 2, 341–348, 2002.Google Scholar
- Faustino, G. M.; de Figueiredo, L. H. Simple adaptive mosaic effects. In: Proceedings of the XVIII Brazilian Symposium on Computer Graphics and Image Processing, 315–322, 2005.Google Scholar
- Zhang, L.; Yu, J. Image mosaics with irregular tiling. In: Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Computer-Aided Design and Computer Graphics, 155–162, 2011.Google Scholar
- Hausner, A. Simulating decorative mosaics. In: Proceedings of the 28th Annual Conference on Computer Graphics and Interactive Techniques, 573–580, 2001.Google Scholar
- Battiato, S.; Di Blasi, G.; Gallo, G.; Guarnera, G. C.; Puglisi, G. Artificial mosaics by gradient vector flow. In: Proceedings of the Eurographics (Short Papers), 53–56, 2008.Google Scholar
- Barnes, C.; Zhang, F.-L.; Lou, L.; Wu, X.; Hu, S.-M. Patchtable: Efficient patch queries for large datasets and applications. ACM Transactions on Graphics Vol. 34, No. 4, Article No. 97, 2015.Google Scholar
- Di Blasi, G.; Gallo, G.; Petralia, M. Puzzle image mosaic. In: Proceedings of the IASTED/VIIP, 33–37, 2005.Google Scholar
- Kwan, K. C.; Sinn, L. T.; Han, C.; Wong, T. T.; Fu, C. W. Pyramid of arclength descriptor for generating collage of shapes. ACM Transactions on Graphics Vol. 35, No. 6, Article No. 229, 2016.Google Scholar
- Huang, H.; Zhang, L.; Zhang, H.-C. Arcimboldo-like collage using internet images. ACM Transactions on Graphics Vol. 30, No. 6, Article No. 155, 2011.Google Scholar
- Reinert, B.; Ritschel, T.; Seidel, H.-P. Interactive by-example design of artistic packing layouts. ACM Transactions on Graphics Vol. 32, No. 6, Article No. 218, 2013.Google Scholar
- Zou, C.; Cao, J.; Ranaweera, W.; Alhashim, I.; Tan, P.; Sheffer, A.; Zhang, H. Legible compact calligrams. ACM Transactions on Graphics Vol. 35, No. 4, Article No. 122, 2016.Google Scholar
- Hu, S.-M.; Zhang, F.-L.; Wang, M.; Martin, R. R.; Wang, J. PatchNet: A patch-based image representation for interactive library-driven image editing. ACM Transactions on Graphics Vol. 32, No. 6, Article No. 196, 2013.Google Scholar
- Chu, H.-K.; Hsu, W.-H.; Mitra, N. J.; Cohen-Or, D.; Wong, T.-T.; Lee, T.-Y. Camouflage images. ACM Transactions on Graphics Vol. 29, No. 4, Article No. 51, 2010.Google Scholar
- Tong, Q.; Zhang, S.-H.; Hu, S.-M.; Martin, R. R. Hidden images. In: Proceedings of the ACM SIGGRAPH/Eurographics Symposium on Non-Photorealistic Animation and Rendering, 27–34, 2011.Google Scholar
- Farbman, Z.; Fattal, R.; Lischinski, D.; Szeliski, R. Edge-preserving decompositions for multi-scale tone and detail manipulation. ACM Transactions on Graphics Vol. 27, No. 3, Article No. 67, 2008.Google Scholar
- Dalal, N.; Triggs, B. Histograms of oriented gradients for human detection. In: Proceedings of the IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, Vol. 1, 886–893, 2005.Google Scholar
- Zitnick, C. L.; Dollár, P. Edge boxes: Locating object proposals from edges. In: Computer Vision — ECCV 2014. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 8693. Fleet, D.; Pajdla, T.; Schiele, B.; Tuytelaars, T. Eds. Springer Cham, 391–405, 2014.Google Scholar
- Rapid-Mosaic. Foto-mosaic-edda. Available at https://doi.org/fmedda.com/en/home.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, which permits use, sharing, adaptation, distribution and reproduction in any medium or format, as long as you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons licence, and indicate if changes were made.
The images or other third party material in this article are included in the article’s Creative Commons licence, unless indicated otherwise in a credit line to the material. If material is not included in the article’s Creative Commons licence and your intended use is not permitted by statutory regulation or exceeds the permitted use, you will need to obtain permission directly from the copyright holder.
To view a copy of this licence, visit https://doi.org/creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/.
Other papers from this open access journal are available free of charge from https://doi.org/www.springer.com/journal/41095. To submit a manuscript, please go to https://doi.org/www.editorialmanager.com/cvmj.