Relief generation from 3D scenes guided by geometric texture richness
- 116 Downloads
Typically, relief generation from an input 3D scene is limited to either bas-relief or high-relief modeling. This paper presents a novel unified scheme for synthesizing reliefs guided by the geometric texture richness of 3D scenes; it can generate both basand high-reliefs. The type of relief and compression coefficient can be specified according to the user’s artistic needs. We use an energy minimization function to obtain the surface reliefs, which contains a geometry preservation term and an edge constraint term. An edge relief measure determined by geometric texture richness and edge z-depth is utilized to achieve a balance between these two terms. During relief generation, the geometry preservation term keeps local surface detail in the original scenes, while the edge constraint term maintains regions of the original models with rich geometric texture. Elsewhere, in highreliefs, the edge constraint term also preserves depth discontinuities in the higher parts of the original scenes. The energy function can be discretized to obtain a sparse linear system. The reliefs are obtained by solving it by an iterative process. Finally, we apply non-linear compression to the relief to meet the user’s artistic needs. Experimental results show the method’s effectiveness for generating both bas- and high-reliefs for complex 3D scenes in a unified manner.
Keywordsgeometric texture richness relief generation energy minimization bas-relief high-relief
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China under Grant No. 61272309. The 3D models are courtesy of the Aim@Shape and Archive3d.
- Botsch, M.; Pauly, M.; Kobbelt, L.; Alliez, P.; Lévy, B.; Bischoff, S.; Rössl, C. Geometric modeling based on polygonal meshes. In: Proceedings of the ACM SIGGRAPH 2007 Course, Article No. 1, 2007.Google Scholar
- Sorkine, O.; Cohen-Or, D.; Lipman, Y.; Alexa, M.; Rössl, C.; Seidel, H.-P. Laplacian surface editing. In: Proceedings of the Eurographics/ACM SIGGRAPH Symposium on Geometry Processing, 175–184, 2004.Google Scholar
- Miao, Y.; Lin, H. Visual saliency guided global and local resizing for 3D models. In: Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Computer-Aided Design and Computer Graphics, 212–219, 2013.Google Scholar
- Kerber, J.; Tevs, A.; Belyaev, A.; Zayer, R.; Seidel, H.-P. Feature sensitive bas relief generation. In: Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Shape Modeling and Applications, 148–154, 2009.Google Scholar
- Zhou, S; Liu, L. Realtime digital bas-relief modeling. Journal of Computer-Aided Design & Computer Graphics Vol. 22, No. 3, 434–439, 2010.Google Scholar
- Intel Math Kernel Library (Intel MKL). Available at https://doi.org/soft-ware.intel.com/en-us/intel-mk.