Annular Cylindrical Liquid Column Dampers for Control of Structural Vibrations
- 43 Downloads
This study investigates the performance of annular cylindrical liquid column dampers (ACTLDs) for vibration suppression of structures with experimental tests. To this aim, a shear-type frame consisting of a top and bottom plate with four columns is constructed in laboratory and is exposed to ground motion with different directions. Dynamic characteristics of the shear frame are first extracted by the finite element analyses, ambient vibration tests and shaking table tests. Then, with employing the resonant frequency of the shear frame, resonant frequency, head-loss coefficient, damping ratio and water height–frequency diagram of the designed ACTLD are determined experimentally by the shaking table tests. Finally, ACTLD-shear frame coupled system is considered to extract the first natural frequencies and related mode shapes to evaluate the performance of ACTLD in suppressing vibrations of the model structure under different excitation angles of motion between 0° and 90° with increment of 15°. The acceleration and displacement time histories are examined to obtain damping of the structure. Results show that proposed ACTLD is good enough to suppress vibrations due to the ground motion with inclined exposing direction to the structure.
KeywordsAnnular cylindrical liquid damper Ambient vibration test Shaking table Damping Dynamic response
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
On behalf of the authors of the study, the corresponding author states that there is no conflict of interest.
- ANSYS (2013) Swanson analysis system. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canonsburg,_PennsylvaniaU.S.A
- Behbarani HP, Adnan A, Vafaei M, Pheng OP, Shad H (2016) Effects of TLCD with maneuverable flaps on vibration control of a SDOF structure. Meccanica 51(9):1–10Google Scholar
- Chaiviryawong P, Limkatanyu S, Pinkaew T (2008) Simulations of characteristics of tuned liquid column damper using an elliptical flow path estimation method. In: 14th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Beijing, ChinaGoogle Scholar
- Modal J, Nimmala H, Abdulla S, Tafreshi R (2014) Tuned liquid damper. In: Proceedings of the 3rd international conference on mechanical engineering and mechatronics, Prague, Czech RepublicGoogle Scholar
- OMA (2006) Release 4.0, Structural vibration solution A/S, DenmarkGoogle Scholar
- PULSE (2006) Analyzers and solutions, Release 11.2. Bruel and Kjaer, Sound and Vibration Measurement A/S, DenmarkGoogle Scholar
- Sakai F, Takeda S (1989) Tuned liquid column damper-new type device for suppression of building vibrations. In: Proceedings of international conference on high rise buildings, Nanjing, ChinaGoogle Scholar
- Seismo Signal Software (2016)Google Scholar